Yesterday was a good day.
I installed the carbs as I noted t posts ago and got the truck back up and running. I forgot to mention that i also split the carbs for a clean out prior to installing them. I found a little debris in on of them and found that both of them had a metal build up around the idle mixture screw right at the tip. Looked like some sort of pigtail drilling debris around the tapered tip of the screw. The tips were fine and were not damaged. I also re-plumbed the lines and kept them further way from the block this time so they don't get so hot.
After getting it running and warmed up i rechecked the timing to see where i left off. Currently set at 12deg and vacuum is 17in. Everything seemed fine with the distributor and was advancing during revving. Checked all the new fuel line connections and set the regulator pressure to 3psi. Went back and forth setting the idle mixture and rpm and timing till everything was ok. Final readings were, 500 rpm, timing still 12 and vac 17.5 ish.
With my AMA card in hand and the tow truck number read on speed dial i got in a took her out for a boot. First thing i noticed doing neighborhood speeds is the engine was smoother than before. Got to the back paved country roads and tested out my new lead shoes. Its a completely different truck ! It pulls hard compared to before. Way more torque. When in third (final) and cruising at 1500rpm you mash it and she just gets up and goes. Still nothing to brag about but 100 times better than before.
The harsh smell of gas during acceleration is little to none compared to before, and when costing in gear it almost never spits and backfires now. At higher rpms the engine is smoother and does not want to jump out of the chassis and onto my lap. It still has a slightest feeling that it wants to go harder when you just let off the throttle when accelerating hard. I will play with the timing using the octane selector now for easy adjustments and see what else i can squeeze from it. Parking in the garage the only smell i got from it was from the header wrap burning from playing so hard and a bit from the top valve cover breather, the smell of gas to me was not present in my garage anymore.
I should probably install the HEI setup i got sooner than later before i go taking all the time to play with timing and then change out the system and have to do it again.
[IMG]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l170/mazdacub/1949%20Chev/IMG_1836.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l170/mazdacub/1949%20Chev/IMG_1837.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l170/mazdacub/1949%20Chev/IMG_1834.jpg[/IMG]