The topic has been brought up many times, but I just fell victim to the Stovebolt Crackosaurus...

The machine shop called to let me know the head off my 55.2 235 (head #3835913) had a crack in it between the valves, so I now need to find a replacement. The owner did not have an immediate replacement from his suppliers, but checked around and I also called the few folks I know that keep these engines. No luck there either, so I'll be going to market for one and don't know what to look out for.

Is buying another cyl head strictly 'buyer beware'? How can you possibly know what you are getting if it is not from an engine/machine shop that checked/magnafluxed it?

I know that prices sometimes lean toward buying another entire engine, but am I about to just be throwing money & hoping it doesn't land in another cracked head?

I'd also really appreciate some guidance on what year ranges of 235 cyl heads are compatible with the block I have (CON 4 H55 3836233), and I hope you all are having a great Monday.

Thanks!

Brad


Wrench Fetcher, PhD