Joker, the link you post is from the DPS website. The DPS tries to keep things simple. Otherwise, their troopers can't figure it out. However the actual regulations are found in the Texas Administration Code.

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=37&pt=1&ch=16&rl=2

Definitions are in Texas Transportation Code:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.522.htm

If someone is driving a vehicle that falls into the definition of a commercial vehicle, and is not specifically exempted such as a farmer or an RV is involved in an accident with one of my vehicles, either personal or my company owned and the driver does not have a CDL, I can assure you I will litigate the matter. What the DPS has to say is totally meaningless. Texas law is silent concerning antique vehicles. Therefor it must be assumed that they are not exempt. I have never been involved in an accident with an antique vehicle, but almost every collision one of my vehicles has would up in litigation. And I have always come out on top.

I would suggest anyone who has assets to lose to have an attorney read their state transportation codes before they operate in a gray area and federal codes. This matter has never really concerned me because I have had a commercial license since 1959 and intend on keeping as long as I can pass a physical.

I have been a member of the ATHS for many years, but I am not very active. I will call them next week and discuss the matter with them. That is if they will discuss it with me. I would think that there should be some direction from them in this matter. Most of their members have trucks that fall into the commercial vehicle weight class.