MO law exempts farm vehicles when used for farm use and RV
http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3020000775.HTMOtherwise, MO law mirrors Federal Motor Carrier Law.
http://dor.mo.gov/forms/Commerical_Driver_License.pdfThe vehicle is definitely not an RV. I question is if he can meet the burden of proof that the vehicle is being used for farm use.
I do not advocate anyone getting a CDL that doesn't need one. A driver must have a current medical card. Otherwise he is restricted to intrastate driving. The threshold for drunk moves to .04 and 2 serious violations which include red lights, improper change of lanes and speed over 15 miles of posted limit results in revocation of all driving privileges for a year.
However, just holding a CDL does not require a driver to log. IFTA stands for International Fuel Tax Agreement and has nothing to do with a CDL. I hold an IFTA license because I have trucks that run interstate. It requires no action by my drivers who must have a CDL.