In another thread that was getting stolen by the topic of the legal issues of hauling/trailering a big bolt.
Thought I would start another topic. (no I did not do a search cus, the laws change often)
The issue was, what are the laws of total weight of the towed trailer that is over 10,000#?
I have 24,000# farm tags on our 3/4 ton diesel and have a gooseneck trailer rated at 20,000#.

What is under state Laws and what is under federal laws?
Need a CDL?
RV/farm tags exempt?
Air brakes?
I do know, anything tagged for 26,000 or more need a CDL.

I don't mind to do short runs locally, but have been known to make runs well over the 10,000# on the trailer plus the weight of the tow vehicle, most of the way across Missouri.

Thanks for any input!


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!