Please read this:
Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number.
BECAUSE YOU MISSED THE QUALIFYING STATEMENT
AND is involved in Interstate commerce:
That is the entire premise of the CDL rules... COMMERCE.
I'm lucky, in PA its very clearly laid out.. we have enumerated NON-COMMERCIAL Class A licenses. Other States its not that clear.. as they never envisioned that a private vehicle would be large, tow a lot etc etc.
So please REREAD the page THAT YOU CITED and show me where the rules INCLUDE privately owned, not in commerce, vehccles.
Also, I know everyne is all hot to trot and trying to show their knowledge of COMMERCIAL rules, trust me, I know them to... I went through this with my M35A2 and CCKW... but what I know, that most of the 'po-fessionals' don't is what DOESN'T APPLY to POVs/NON-Commerce.. that that is:
CDLs are for operating a truck IN COMMERCE (there are some weird air brake rules though).
*SOME* States (I have said in every post it vary's from State to state) will call a CDL and 'Class A' the same thing. So getting a one means you have the other. But *SOME* States (PA for example) do not.
So you must call the DMV, hope you get a smart person and then, more importantly, get the number of the code (Title, chapter, subsection) and read it to ensure it applies to YOU.
As for IFTA, you cross State lines with a CDL you better file quarterly IFTA. Get stopped with no IFTA tag, outside of your home State, fine-a-roonie. No kidding the IFTA follows the TRUCK, not the driver, but if you are in a something big enough to 'look' like a commercial vehicle, out of state, with a CDL license in your pocket have fun talking to the trooper.
Last edited by pfarber; 04/02/2014 9:52 PM.