The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ponchogl, MikeE, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 162 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,144
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
I purchased this the truck near Bend Oregon in 2009. My wife and I took a trip and looked at three trucks of the same vintage all in the same area. The price ranged from $2-3.5K. This one was the last one we looked at and by far the most complete. It was running when I bought it for $3K. It ran and was driven on to my car carrier.

I live in Brush Prairie WA just over the Columbia river from Portland OR.

We brought it home the following weekend and it sat for a year. The truck only had surface rust. Bend is high desert area. This truck had a title from Idaho last registered in the 1970's.

I am doing a body off restoration.

I dismantled the truck in the summer of 2010 and started the sand blasting and painting of all the chassis. The down-side to a truck that ran so long is many parts are very worn. This will be my daily driver to work when complete.

The engine is a 1953 block 216 with a three speed. I will keep the truck close to original. Replaced the rear diff gears with 3:55. The tranny is 3 speed and rebuilt now. The engine is being rebuilt in Portland and will have shell bearings instead of the poured in place babbit.

The color will probably be Export Blue but with a black interior dash and tuck and roll seat.

So here I am.

Gene Wirth
Attachments
wirth gene 1946.jpg (12.6 KB, 22 downloads)
1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton

Last edited by Peggy M; 06/01/2024 5:33 PM.
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
Looks like you're well underway. Welcome to the Bolt! Keep us posted on your progress.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
Lookin good !!


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
About 20 years ago I restored a 1953 Chevy 1/2-ton but not a complete frame off. I got interested because I purchased a 1996 Dodge Stratus to fix for my daughter. What a nightmare. It made me long for the simple non electronic days.

Last edited by Peggy M; 04/12/2025 7:54 PM.
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 255
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 255
Nice work man - looks like you got it goin' your way.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Gene, just a note to let you know I think your doing a fantastic job on your truck. I can appreciate the attention to detail your giving it. Hope your riding soon and from the pace your going it won't be long. Oh, nice dog to. He helps when nothing else goes right....right!!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
Thanks for the comments. Do you know the paint type and color on Old Blue? Thanks.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Gene,
Great job. Loved the photo's.
Here are some sites that have been a valuable resource for me. Check them out and see what you think.
Harold

Old Car Manual Project -- this link is directly to the CHEVROLET SHOP MANUAL 1942 and 1946 MODELS page.

This one is a PDF that you download.

THIS ONE is Master Part Catalog for 1929-1954 Chevy. The links INSIDE that page don't work but at least you can tell what is available in the catalog.

Last edited by Peggy M; 06/01/2024 5:40 PM. Reason: fixed and removed the broken links

Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
Very nice job Gene. Love the attention to detail! And you've accomplished it very quickly. Have fun and good luck!
Dan

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
Thanks for the links and the nice comments.

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
I see your wood worker. That's my where my real talent lies. What do you do wood working wise. I taught HS shop in the early 80's.

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
I have just about completed installing new electric wiper motors in my '46. I wanted it to look original.

I purchased the motors from Jim Carter and removed the plastic housing and switch. I did a little rewiring to remove the built in wiper motor switch. I then took the vacuum motor controls and adapted them to an electric switch and faux mounted the remainder of the controls. I had to grind out the center chrome exterior anchor parts of the original wiper motors.

I have a little more cosmetic work to finish. If anyone wants the whole story let me know and I'll provide the details.

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 166
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 166
Very nice! I'm going to convert to electric wiper motors in my 37. I'd be very interested in the details of your conversion. I'll send you a PM with my email address. Thanks!!


1937 Chevy pickup
In the Gallery
1952 MGTD
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 252
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 252
Looks GREAT!

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
Your Truck looks great. You have a final color in mind? I am at least a year away. I hope to have it running by the end of winter.

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 252
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 252
Thanks, I'm thinking of two tone orange pearl/white diamond pearl with a touch of ghost flames. I've had a lot tell me to leave it like it is but I have to finish it. LOL. As soon as I finish the wiring on momma's 52 deluxe I'm going to tear it back down. How long have you had yours? It's coming along nicely.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 201
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 201
GW,

Why did you choose not to use the Newport Engineering type with one motor and a synchronizing linkage?


'69 1/2T stepside, Sea Foam Green, 250 L6 w/ 3 on the tree, not an option on it, in the family since new.
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
I don't know about it. Is it 6Vdc and will it fit into the Valence area and still look original? You have a link to a place to view and purchase it? I am done now but's always good to know about. Thank You.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 201
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 201
No

Yes

Yes

Yes - Bowtie Bits dot com

Didn't realize you were still on 6v or I wouldn't have mentioned it.



'69 1/2T stepside, Sea Foam Green, 250 L6 w/ 3 on the tree, not an option on it, in the family since new.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

TGT,

What is the part number at bowtiebits.com?

A search of their 34-46 on-line catalog shows a 12v wiper. It would be very nice to know if they have a 6v wiper.

People (myself included) have posted in the past that they have bought a "6v" after-market wiper but found that it turned slower than the old vacuum wiper. After calling the vendor, some of us were informed that the 6v and 12v wipers were the same - it would just work more slowly in a 6v system.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 201
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 201
Depends on how badly you want it, but you could find a 6v to 12v transformer, hide it under the dash and run a wire up to the motor. If you're really good you can make your own. Just make 2 coils of copper wire, one with twice as many coils. Maybe a more electrically minded poster can chime in on exactly how.


'69 1/2T stepside, Sea Foam Green, 250 L6 w/ 3 on the tree, not an option on it, in the family since new.
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
I doubt the 6 and 12 volt motors are the same. At 6 volts the current doubles. I hooked these up on a power analizer at work and they drew slightly over 2 Amps no load. The speed was about what I would consider normal. I considered adding a speed control but decided it was not worth it. You could add a 6 - 12 Vdc DC to DC inverter but not a transformer. A transformer will not work on DC.

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
That sounds like a nice looking ride. I bought my truck in the Bend Oregon area and it only had surface rust. I started the dismantling in the summer of 2010. Sandblasted the frame Axle etc. Changed the gears in the rear end did the breaks, shocks...... etc last winter. I painted the cab and 10,000 cab parts this summer. Had the machine work done on the engine this spring, rebuilt the tranny and installed all the drive train over the summer. Now I want to get the electric and cab interior done this winter. Then more body stuff in 2012.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by GWWirth
I doubt the 6 and 12 volt motors are the same . . . .


6v and 12v motors are not the same.

The motor I was referring to was one for which the vendor said that the 6v and 12v wipers that they were selling were the same unit. They said that unit was made to run equally well on both a 6v and 12v systems (as if they would perform equally well on both systems). Of course, that was a ridiculous assertion by that vendor.

That vendor gave my money back and paid for shipping both ways.

I suggest that anyone who thinks they are buying a 6v wiper (for a 1946 truck, for example) should first ask if the company sells a different unit for a 6v 1946 truck and 12v 1946 truck.

Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 153
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 153
Sweet truck. I love the blue. I also agree with the 10,000 pieces to paint. I still have 5,000 to go.

Another 12 volt option is to modify a MG cable drive wiper system. There is a forum on the jalopy journal that a guy wrote the instructions with lots of pictures.

I am in the process of building the MG system in my 46. The MG system costs me less than $50. The Cole-Hersee switch for dynamic parking is the most expensive piece but you get intermittent and wash features with it.


1946 Chevy Half Ton
('56 235, '86 T5, '79 Camaro Z28 rear end, working on the '85 Jaguar XJ6 IFS)
1976 Margay Panther X, MC91B

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 252
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 252
I checked that post out and what a cool set up! Take pictures of your installation.

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 187
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 187
I am very interested in the subject here, as I also want to change to electric wipers. I have been researching the idea of the inverter for a 12v motor from a 6v battery. However I would like to see the link that you mention for the MG system


I would rather be late 10 minutes in this life than 10 minutes early for the next

The reason my lady and I have been together so long is because of the kids. Neither one of us wanted sole custody
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
Jim carter lists a 6volt motor
6 volt motor
He also list a 12 volt motor.
12 volt motor


Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
W
Moderated
Moderated
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
Have just purchased a 6v wiper motor and would be interested in how you converted it back to the original knobs as the one I got had a turnabout switch?

Wayne

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

We would have to know the style of knob (knobs, you posted - are there multiple knobs on yours?)?

Where did you buy it and what is the part number?
What is the make/year of your truck?


Moderated by  J Lucas 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0