| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (Otto Skorzeny),
127
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,442 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | I know it was originally finished with linseed oil and lamp black but how?
Do you mix lamp black with linseed oil and brush, dip or spray it on?
Do you use boiled linseed oil?
Assuming you mix the two, is there any ratio suggested that will yield original results?
I'm already familiar with the several different newer ways to paint them black but I'm more interested in duplicating the original finish... if possible. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 | I would "assume" that you would apply the black and then the linseed. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | ALWAYS use boiled linseed, the raw stuff never dries, will be gummy forever .... I'd try various ways on sample pieces, like Builder sez, likely burnishing the wood with the lamp black lightly first, then paint with the linseed - try some black into some linseed to see how well it'll mix and disperse, might tend to settle fast
Bill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Woody, Keep us informed (with photos) as you progress. In an attempt to match what I had read but had never seen (linseed oil and lamp black; or, coal tar and linseed oil) I colored one set of bed wood using MinWax Ebony Stain and followed with satin Marine Spar varnish. I'd like to get it a little darker - this time, I might look for an aniline dye (coal-tar-based dye - black nigrosine).
J. E. Moser's Lamp Black - aniline dye (this one is not for water-based delivery - I will check about adding it to a marine spar (satin) varnish. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | Thanks for the links Tim, there's a Woodworkers Supply in town or I can order on line. Can't see why you can't just mix it with the Linseed Oil and brush it on but I'll definitely experiment until I get what I want.
This part of the project is still a long way off but you know me... I'll have plenty of in-progress photos when I get to that part. | | |
| |
| |