The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (1955 1 Series, Otto Skorzeny), 127 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,465
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
I know it was originally finished with linseed oil and lamp black but how?

Do you mix lamp black with linseed oil and brush, dip or spray it on?

Do you use boiled linseed oil?

Assuming you mix the two, is there any ratio suggested that will yield original results?

I'm already familiar with the several different newer ways to paint them black but I'm more interested in duplicating the original finish... if possible.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
I would "assume" that you would apply the black and then the linseed.

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
ALWAYS use boiled linseed, the raw stuff never dries, will be gummy forever .... I'd try various ways on sample pieces, like Builder sez, likely burnishing the wood with the lamp black lightly first, then paint with the linseed - try some black into some linseed to see how well it'll mix and disperse, might tend to settle fast

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Woody,

Keep us informed (with photos) as you progress.

In an attempt to match what I had read but had never seen (linseed oil and lamp black; or, coal tar and linseed oil) I colored one set of bed wood using MinWax Ebony Stain and followed with satin Marine Spar varnish.

I'd like to get it a little darker - this time, I might look for an aniline dye (coal-tar-based dye - black nigrosine).

J. E. Moser's Lamp Black - aniline dye
(this one is not for water-based delivery - I will check about adding it to a marine spar (satin) varnish.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Thanks for the links Tim, there's a Woodworkers Supply in town or I can order on line. Can't see why you can't just mix it with the Linseed Oil and brush it on but I'll definitely experiment until I get what I want.

This part of the project is still a long way off but you know me... I'll have plenty of in-progress photos when I get to that part.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
Here is a link to an artist source for lamp black pigment. It also has information on lamp black. I would just mix it with the Linseed Oil and brush it on. http://www.naturalpigments.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=480-50S


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0