| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,090 Posts1,056,345 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 54 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 54 | Hey fellow bolters... I'm at the point in my 1938 Chevy Panel truck build that I'm ready for some headlights. I have the original headlight buckets and also had previously purchased some new chrome headlight bezels. I did some research and found that originally, the 1938 Chevy trucks had the bucket, a reflector assembly that held the original bulbs, a separate clear lens, seal and bezel. I didn't want to use the reflector setup so I contacted Chevs of the 40s and they suggested their sealed beam headlight gasket kit and standard sealed beam bulbs. I ordered and received these items but now can't figure out how to install them. I was disappointed that there were no instructions with the shipment. The conversion seal that I received has a grooved side and then a round rubber seal. I don't know if the groove is supposed to go around the edge of the headlight or around the edge of the headlight bucket. I've tried both but neither seem to be working. Anyone ever used this seal/gasket from Chev of the 40s? Would very much appreciate any assistance! Have a Great Saturday and with any luck, I'll have headlights installed before the day is over! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Mmmm, I have a 37 but can't remember back to 2000 when I put the headlights on it. I do remember cutting a little rectangle out of the inside rim of the headlight bucket so I could buy a regular seal beam light and the little square glass tabs on the headlight would fit into the bucket. Then I think I simply used the chrome ring with a gasket behind it.....as best I can remember.
I'll try look up the Chev of 40's and see what you got.... .but you may already have them fixed!!! | | | | | Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 54 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 54 | I appreciate your feedback. The tabs on the back of my headlights match the tabs in the bucket so I guess the gasket/seal conversion kit just spans the space in the chrome bezel and holds things tight. Gonna give it another try! Thanks again! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | ....getting them suckers aimed good is another story!! Good luck. Sounds like you got it figured out. Let us know. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 54 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 54 | I guess that's why they called them tilt-rays so that you could adjust up and down by moving the entire bucket. Left and right... That's another story. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | On my '38 coupe the only real adjustment is up and down done using the screw in the bottom of the housing that moves the reflector. The truck has a different housing however and I don't know if the adjustment is the same. Keep at it, where there's a will there's a way.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 1,712 back yard wrench turner | | back yard wrench turner Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 1,712 | The truck adjustment is done with the stand. Loosening the stand bolt that holds the bucket a small amount allows the bucket to pivot in and out and up and down. The original stands are prone to crack from the weight of the bucket. There is a guy on Ebay that makes an improved stand with reinforcement to prevent the cracking.
Last edited by Wayne67vert; 01/12/2014 9:23 PM.
Wayne1938 1-Ton Farm TruckStovebolt Gallery Forums1989 Silverado 1996 Mustang GT convertible When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it! | | |
| |
| |