| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
117
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 19 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 19 | Yesterday I found and arranged to buy at a later day after the Christmas holiday some extra parts left over after his '48 project was completed. In this pile of pieces are stainless window trim, rear bumper, other misc. 1/2 ton Chrome plated grill, 2- doors and a grill from a 3/4 ton (I was told this).
The thing I noticed the primary grill bars for the 3/4 are 1/4" or 3/8" taller then the grill bars for a 1/2 ton truck. I thought that 1/2 and 3/4 ton are the same. Help me out on this issue.
So are the 1/2 and 3/4 ton truck doors the same?
As a side note, the Chrome grill has some slight damage. I believe I can remove this dent. What I don't know at this time, will the Chrome plating survive ?
Woodildo | | | | | Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 15 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 15 | I would have bet even the grill was the same?47-53 are a lot like old Harleys and inter change so easy.Maybe the years of grills are not just alike and its been interchanged?I like wing glass to use a lot and like the 51-55 better just for that and would have got a pair if cost the same if had to replace a 47-50.Guess if this comes up better check into this more.Sure lots on here will know for sure. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 | I don't know about GM, but the "chrome" on my 47 Mercury was actually stainless steel. The man who bought it from me after I'd owned it for 13 years straightened all the little dings out of the trim and re-polished it like brand new. No plating involved at all! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | The 47-51 and 54/55 Advance-Design chromed grills were chrome (none were stainless steel).
The "bright" window surrounds were stainless steel in years that had them for inside/outside door-windows, windshields, and panel/suburban rear door windows.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 19 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 19 | I called and talk to the seller and he said after some thought, some parts were from a dump truck. So it must be that the taller grill bars are from a Big Bolt.
Woodildo | | |
| |
| |