The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hanks custodian, Ponchogl, Wayne67vert, 1 invisible), 175 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,139
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#994217 12/22/2013 7:40 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 19
W
New Guy
New Guy
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 19
Yesterday I found and arranged to buy at a later day after the Christmas holiday some extra parts left over after his '48 project was completed. In this pile of pieces are stainless window trim, rear bumper, other misc. 1/2 ton Chrome plated grill, 2- doors and a grill from a 3/4 ton (I was told this).

The thing I noticed the primary grill bars for the 3/4 are 1/4" or 3/8" taller then the grill bars for a 1/2 ton truck. I thought that 1/2 and 3/4 ton are the same. Help me out on this issue.

So are the 1/2 and 3/4 ton truck doors the same?

As a side note, the Chrome grill has some slight damage. I believe I can remove this dent. What I don't know at this time, will the Chrome plating survive ?

Woodildo

Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 15
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 15
I would have bet even the grill was the same?47-53 are a lot like old Harleys and inter change so easy.Maybe the years of grills are not just alike and its been interchanged?I like wing glass to use a lot and like the 51-55 better just for that and would have got a pair if cost the same if had to replace a 47-50.Guess if this comes up better check into this more.Sure lots on here will know for sure.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
I don't know about GM, but the "chrome" on my 47 Mercury was actually stainless steel. The man who bought it from me after I'd owned it for 13 years straightened all the little dings out of the trim and re-polished it like brand new. No plating involved at all!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
The 47-51 and 54/55 Advance-Design chromed grills were chrome (none were stainless steel).

The "bright" window surrounds were stainless steel in years that had them for inside/outside door-windows, windshields, and panel/suburban rear door windows.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
If the grill is that much bigger my guess it is from a 1-1/2 ton or bigger truck since that is about the difference in size. 3/4-ton grills are the same as the 1/2-ton.
Those bright surrounds polish up like new and really set off a truck cab in my opinion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/8129179541/in/set-72157631867396207

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 19
W
New Guy
New Guy
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 19
I called and talk to the seller and he said after some thought, some parts were from a dump truck. So it must be that the taller grill bars are from a Big Bolt.

Woodildo


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0