The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (FAST55, Shaffer's1950, John Dlugos, Ponchogl, F100Ranger, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, TexasJim50, 1 invisible), 73 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,131
Posts1,056,372
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#992492 12/14/2013 2:17 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 76
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 76
I will be going with 12V system. Can I just restore my heater as is and install or do I need to change the motor to 12V or add something to convert it?

Thanks!

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
I used the 6 Volt motor untill it burned out. If you have it apart, look around for a 12 Volt. I think I got one at a local parts store that fit , but I had to shorten the shaft a little. Better to fix it now than in the middle of a blizzard. Been ther done that.


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
A 12V motor is the only way to go. Unlike a starter were you can use a 6V in a 12V system since it's not operated for long stretches, a blower is on for long periods and will burn out as mentioned above. I see 12V motors on ebay all the time or perhaps a small motor shop near you can rebuild yours at less expense.


Ed
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 239
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 239
I have converted my truck to 12V. The heater motor is still 6V. I wired in a voltage converter. I had the converter left over from a previous project. The one I installed is similar to the one listed below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-55-F1-6V...h=item3cd9d8f78b&vxp=mtr#ht_63wt_986

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,813
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,813
Voltage-dropping resistors develop a LOT of heat and they are a burn and/or fire hazard unless they're installed in the airflow from the fan. Just swap to a 12V blower motor- - - -it should last for a lot of years and they're not that expensive.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
Voltage-dropping resistors develop a LOT of heat

No energy goes away. It can only be converted to another form of energy. The voltage drop resistor takes half of the electric energy and converts it to heat (another form of energy)

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
My 6 volt motor lasted about 15 minutes at 12 volts. Change it now if you have heater out.



Jerry
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
I have used a drop resistor with my heater for 20+ years. No problems so far. Then again, who in Calif needs to use a heater? LOL


Last edited by cmayna; 12/15/2013 4:48 PM.

Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
Quote
I have used a drop resistor with my heater for 20+ years. No problems so far. Then again, who in Calif needs to use a heater? LOL

Absolutely, they will work. But the comment on the resistor getting hot is correct thanks to physics.

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 85
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 85
I concur with those that say change the motor, best cleanest safest way to do so.

$34 at american classic, you may find for less somewhere. Was a perfect fit in mine.

http://www.americanclassic.com/Google_Base_HTML_Pages/EL116-1951.htm

Mike


1951 Chevy 3600 rust bucket with GarWood dump bed conversion
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeybs51chevy
1965t5 #994589 12/24/2013 10:08 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
Today I drove around and finally turned on my heater, reaching for the resistor and dang! That pup got hot. Need to reconsider.



Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0