Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,134 Posts1,056,401 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 76 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 76 | I will be going with 12V system. Can I just restore my heater as is and install or do I need to change the motor to 12V or add something to convert it?
Thanks! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,061 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,061 | I used the 6 Volt motor untill it burned out. If you have it apart, look around for a 12 Volt. I think I got one at a local parts store that fit , but I had to shorten the shaft a little. Better to fix it now than in the middle of a blizzard. Been ther done that.
1946 1-ton Panel 1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 899 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 899 | A 12V motor is the only way to go. Unlike a starter were you can use a 6V in a 12V system since it's not operated for long stretches, a blower is on for long periods and will burn out as mentioned above. I see 12V motors on ebay all the time or perhaps a small motor shop near you can rebuild yours at less expense.
Ed
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,814 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,814 | Voltage-dropping resistors develop a LOT of heat and they are a burn and/or fire hazard unless they're installed in the airflow from the fan. Just swap to a 12V blower motor- - - -it should last for a lot of years and they're not that expensive. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 | Voltage-dropping resistors develop a LOT of heat
No energy goes away. It can only be converted to another form of energy. The voltage drop resistor takes half of the electric energy and converts it to heat (another form of energy) | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 396 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 396 | My 6 volt motor lasted about 15 minutes at 12 volts. Change it now if you have heater out. Jerry
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 | I have used a drop resistor with my heater for 20+ years. No problems so far. Then again, who in Calif needs to use a heater? LOL
Last edited by cmayna; 12/15/2013 4:48 PM.
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 | I have used a drop resistor with my heater for 20+ years. No problems so far. Then again, who in Calif needs to use a heater? LOL Absolutely, they will work. But the comment on the resistor getting hot is correct thanks to physics. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 | Today I drove around and finally turned on my heater, reaching for the resistor and dang! That pup got hot. Need to reconsider.
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | |
| |