The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Lightholder's Dad, J Lucas, Hotrod Lincoln), 118 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,338
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#982087 10/29/2013 12:29 AM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 523
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 523
Well, I got the tie rod straightened out pretty good but I found that one of the tie rod ends had been hammered over pretty good, making the removal of the plug difficult, and re-install even worse. I considered replacing the tie rod ends - they did show some wear. I have the type of tie rod end pictured in the "42-48 Car / 42-46 Truck" shop manual, figure 43, page 3-19. I cannot find this style in any of my catalogs. I could probably clean the threads up with a tap (1" x 18), but the taps don't seem to be readily available. Can any one help?


BobS46
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I have a tie rod with the ends still on it. What do you need?
Best to send me a PM. What I have is from a 46 pickup.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 153
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 153
I bought a new tie rod from Classic Performance Products. I bought two sets of the "modern" tie rod ends (I don't remember who I bought them from). I cut down the original tie rod and made a drag link. My set up required a 13/16" x 16 die and a 2" die holder.

JTS Machinery and Supply.

Die Holder (copy and paste): https://www.jtsmachine.com/jtswebshop/Taps_Dies/T215.asp#holder

Dies (copy and paste): https://www.jtsmachine.com/jtswebshop/Taps_Dies/T126.asp#2

Last edited by 46SortaStock; 10/29/2013 2:44 AM.

1946 Chevy Half Ton
('56 235, '86 T5, '79 Camaro Z28 rear end, working on the '85 Jaguar XJ6 IFS)
1976 Margay Panther X, MC91B

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 2
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 2
Bob,I also will be replacing my tie rod ends and drag bar shortly (after the holidays). What did you end up doing? Was it expensive?
Thank you

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 523
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 523
Thanks to a fellow member of the forum, AChipmonk (sp?), I located some used tie rod ends. They did not seem to be otherwise available and one of mine was damaged beyond use.

My local shop did a very good job of pressin the rod out straight. Sorry that I can not be of more help.


BobS46

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0