The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Shaffer's1950, Bill Marlow), 66 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,386
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#980915 10/24/2013 2:26 AM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
I'm new to this forum - I registered so that I could network with some other stovebolters while I resurrect this relic I just picked up. I saved it from the crusher - literally. (Will post more pictures in coming days) The truck is badged a 6100, but it has a 179" wheelbase. I'm a little confused because all the data I have found so far says it should be a 6500 with that wheelbase. Anyway, it's not really important - it has a stuck 235 with a 4-speed and a 2-speed Eaton axle (very excited about the 2-speed axle). I'm not 100% decided which way I'm going to go with this project just yet but my initial urge is to cut it down and make a neat little tractor out of it. I'll have plenty of time to think about it though I reckon as I already have too many other projects on the front burner. This one will be on the back burner for awhile. Like I said earlier, the only reason I even have it (now) is because I had to act fast in order to save it from the crusher. Here's a pic taken about a month ago when the junk man hauled it into his crusher yard...I did get the title to this truck as well.



Edit: Just a summary of what I have learned since I first got this truck - it is actually a 6100 that has been stretched from an original wheelbase of 137" to its current wheelbase of 179". The truck does have the original 235 still in it (I checked all the numbers, everything matches), however someone put a later model head off of a 261 on it at some point. Also of interest is that the "VIN" number recorded on the title is actually the engine's serial number and not the serial number on the body ID plate. The spare engine that I got along with it that came out of a '55-'57 model truck is definitely a 261.



Here's a link to some pix.

Last edited by Peggy M; 12/22/2013 4:14 PM.

1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 474
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 474
Congratulations on the new project. Your truck looks like its in good shape.


Stovebolt Gallery
1952 Chevy 3100
1953 Chevy 4400
1965 Nova
Pics on Photobucket
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Looks pretty good. If you see no evidence of the frame being stretched, probably got a different hood installed in the past, or emblems got swapped out. If you decide to make a road tractor out of it the 6100 emblems will be correct for the new length. If you decide to leave it alone, i'd find some 6500 emblems.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
im with spanky. wb too long to be a 6100.

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
Yeah I'm not too sure what's going on with the 6100 badges - the truck appears to be totally un-molested. I can't even imagine why someone would swap out the badges....and the hood appears to be original to the truck. All the paint matches and its never been painted as far as I can tell. I suppose it could be possible that the entire cab was swapped onto this chassis. A lot can happen in 63 years I reckon, who knows.


1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
Welp, made it home with this mess without any incident. I flat-towed it 61 miles behind my '11 F150. Its a wonder I didn't get arrested.

Anyway, it's safe now here in Bremond and I discovered why it has 6100 badges on it with a 179" wheelbase...its because it IS a 6100 and it's been stretched. Makes it a lot easier for me to decide about un-stretching it...lol.

I'll post a bunch more pictures of it later on this evening.


1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331


1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
Nice project. Looks like it has a '54 or newer 235 in it.

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
Originally Posted by don stocker
Nice project. Looks like it has a '54 or newer 235 in it.

How are you able to tell that? I have a lot to learn about these engines. In the past the only experience I had with them was just pulling them out to make room for a V8. The spare engine that's on the back of the truck in those pictures came out of a '56 or a '57 model truck - you can see that truck sitting behind this one in a few of those pictures - that truck got crushed today, I had to watch it. It was dreadful.


1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
The 4-screw valve cover is the 1954 and later 235 (or any 261) clue.

1955-2nd or later 235/261 would have a water pump that is completely below the bottom of the head.

Post the casting codes and engine serial number and people will help you ID the engines.

engine serial number
head casting code
head date casting code
block casting code
block date casting code

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
Ok, good information. I also wondered about the valve cover - both engines have the 4 bolt cover with the cursive script "chevrolet" on them. I'll have to look closer at the water pumps also. That spare engine I got is in very good condition - clean as a whistle inside and I believe it's either been overhauled or its just really low miles. I am planning to put it in the truck eventually. The reason the valve cover is off in the pics is because I took it off to avoid damaging it when I dumped it out of the truck it was in with a bulldozer...lol. I removed the valve cover, rocker assembly and all the pushrods and the distributor. Didn't want to tear any of that stuff up.


1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
Ok, I got some numbers off of both engines.

First, the engine that is IN the truck:

Cyl head: 3836850

Block: Unknown, number not in same place as the spare engine's number

SPARE engine removed from a '55-'57 model truck:

Cyl head: 3836850

Block: 3769925 ('58-'62 261)

The engine that is in the truck has a water pump that extends above the cylinder deck, the spare engine's water pump does not. Are the blocks actually different or are the water pumps just made differently? I suspect the later...

Looks like that cyl head casting number is also for a '58-'62 261. I can't believe I scored TWO 261s.

Last edited by mechanic58; 10/25/2013 8:09 PM.

1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

The holes for the water pumps in the two blocks are different.

The water pump is mounted entirely outside the block on the earlier block (the one with the water pump that goes above the base of the head - two small holes in the block). The lower water pump has its pump-vanes inside the block (one big hole)

If you look at the link I posted above, the locations of date casting codes (on the head and on the block) are shown.

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
Originally Posted by tclederman
If you look at the link I posted above, the locations of date casting codes (on the head and on the block) are shown.

I did check the link, it was helpful however the block that is in the truck does not have a casting number in that location. I didn't spend a whole lot of time searching, but I did check the most obvious places that I could access. The only 'cast-in' digits I could find anywhere on the block was a large "GM" beneath and forward of the fuel pump. The block is noticeably different than the later model spare engine that I got.

The block that is in the truck does have a s/n on the pad behind the dist though, it's EA373439.

I'm beginning to wonder if it might be original to the truck...however I cannot find any data anywhere that says you could get a 261 in 1951. ??

Welp - I'm still learning here. I see now that the 261 didn't begin production until 1954. Been trying to find some good pictures of the early and late blocks so I can try and understand the differences. Not having much luck.

Last edited by mechanic58; 10/26/2013 1:05 AM.

1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
Here's some more interesting information - the "VIN" that is recorded on the title is actually the s/n that is stamped on the engine block that is currently IN the truck which is obviously not the original engine. Hmmmm.


1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
Ok...now its starting to come together - the engine s/n actually starts with a "J", so it's "JEA", which is correct for a 235 in a '51 model truck. I'm assuming now that it is in fact the original 235. The casting number on the head identifies it as being on a 261...so my guess is somewhere along the line it had a head swap. I wonder if the 261 heads had a larger chamber - effectively reducing the compression if you were to put it on a 235?

Last edited by mechanic58; 10/26/2013 2:16 PM.

1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 91
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 91
A 261 head wouldn't fit your original motor, most likely you have a newer replacemant block with your numbers stamped into it.

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
Hmmm, interesting.

Now that you mention it, the serial number does appear to have been stamped on it by hand. The numbers are not lined up perfectly and the "J" was made with dots...with a center punch. I guess they didn't have a letter "J" punch. lol

Last edited by mechanic58; 10/26/2013 8:34 PM.

1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 11
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 11
Hey mech58, just ran across your post and wanted to say hey. I'm restoring a 6100 as well. I'm thinkin' I was a little luckier in my find. I dinna have to do near as much as you're going to have to. I;ve got to say your Bolt looks solid and it doesn't appear that you'll have any major troubles, in my eyes.

When you get started, if you have any q's I'll try and help you out. I live up in Amarillo so I'll be kinda limited on what I'll be doing thru the cold spell. (I don't have a garage}. I'm going to try and post my pics...again...haven't had much luck, tho.

My '49 6100

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
Looking forward to seeing your pics. Just to be clear though - I wasn't really shopping for one of these trucks. I merely ran across this one as it was about to be crushed. I only had to shell out $550 to save it, along with all those spare wheels and a complete (running) 261 and another 4-speed transmission. I don't think I did too bad - plus I got the title to it as well.


1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
The story gets even more interesting...



Lastnight I decided to google the name on the door of this old truck and found out there is a trucking company still in business under that name in Troy, TX. I called them this morning and got put in touch with the surviving patriarch, who is the son of the man who's name is on the door of the truck. His father purchased the truck brand new in 1951 as a road tractor. It was part of an unsold lot of new trucks that were originally destined for state road service but ended up not being bought by the state - hence the yellow color. They cut it in half and stretched it shortly thereafter and used it to haul grain and hay with for years and years. He remembered every last little detail about the truck and even recalls that they did put a "new" 261 engine in it and that after they did that it would out-pull anything in their fleet. He said they had problems with drivers breaking axles with it all the time. Anyway, it was really neat to speak with this man on the phone. I sent him some pictures of it and it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't schedule a visit to come see it in person sometime. He told me on the phone that he has been wondering for years whatever happened to this old truck. I think he was nearly in tears.

Last edited by mechanic58; 10/28/2013 5:15 PM.

1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
Welp, the story keeps getting better and better. About 30 mins after I sent the email with the pictures I got a phone call from another family member - also a grandchild of the original owner - and they want the truck back at any cost. Turns out the whole family is a bunch of motorheads and they all have vintage hotrods and trucks, etc. This truck has been lost to the family for over a generation and the entire time it probably wasn't more than 25 miles away. It was just hidden out of sight in a back pasture field somwhere. "Grandpa" died about 15 years ago and the whole family has always wondered whatever happened to this truck. I'll be making arrangements this week to transfer it back to the rightful owners. They are all beside themselves over this development.


1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Mechanic58, that is a great story and I'm proud of you for letting it go back where is will be well taken care of for years.
That story will be told many, many times for years. Its great you wanted to find out about the truck...and a happy ending for all.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Great Story. Aren't you now itching to get another one ?


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
It is a good story and I'm excited to be part of it. I have always wanted a big old truck like this and I'm sure I'll find another one someday. The weeds are full of em down here in Texas and that's really not an exaggeration. Some of the family are coming tomorrow to see the truck. They're like small children at Christmas over this...lol.


1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
You should see if they are willing to find you a replacement for finding their family heirloom.A suitable project truck for you that they have no attachment to seem like a more than fair trade and a win win for you both.


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
That is a good idea, however like I said before - I really wasn't shopping for this truck at the time anyway. I do like it and I would keep it, but they're willing to pay me for it - and I'll make a decent profit. I'll find another one when I get ready.


1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
This morning I decided to spend a little time with the engine in this old truck to see if I could get it loose before the family shows up to look at it. It didn't take much - first I checked it with my bore scope and it didn't look too bad, then I poured a mixture of transmission fluid and acetone in the cylinders and let it soak for about an hour. While it was soaking I pulled the valve cover to inspect the valvetrain and oil the stems, etc and discovered the rocker arm on #2 intake was broken on the pushrod side. I'm assuming this is why it was parked. All the valves seem to move except for that intake, which appears to be bent also. Anyway, it came loose pretty easy after about an hour long soak and it now turns freely. I figure it will run. I also did some more investigating on the block ID and found the casting number - it's a '54 model 261 with a casting number of 3703414. I'm assuming the early 261s had the high mount water pump, is this correct? Or is it possible this engine just has an adapter plate and is using the early style pump? I can't tell if there's an adapter plate on it or not.


1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Originally Posted by mechanic58
- it's a '54 model 261 with a casting number of 3703414. I'm assuming the early 261s had the high mount water pump, is this correct?
Correct


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
How many years did the 261 use the early style pump?


1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
54 and early 55 as far as I know. Pump location would be the same as the 235 of the same years.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

1954 and 1955-1st series 261s used the early style pump.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Before you think about changing the engine, it might be well to get it inspected using a VIN found somewhere on the frame, otherwise, any title tied to the engine ser. no. will be invalid. In CO, however, they only honor an inspection for 3 years, but it doesn't say that on the official form. One can get a title only, no registration, no license plate, to solve that problem.


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
Well, I'm not in Colorado. Old vehicle titles tied to engine IDs are fairly common here in Texas. Most times when you transfer one like that these days down here - if you're aware of the fact that the engine ID is on the title instead of the body s/n, all you have to do is let the title office know about it and provide them with the correct information and they'll change it on the new title.

And on top of all that - the title I have does in fact match the s/n on the engine block - so it is verifiable to any registering authority.


1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
You were able to escape arrest because you were in Robertson County. Nice find. Curious who the family in Troy was. My wife's family is from Troy.

And pretty neat that you were able to track down the original owners. And return it to them.

Last edited by aggie jon; 12/19/2013 5:14 PM.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0