I had a thread going in the Big Bolts section about this, but thought it should really be in here.
I'm nearing completion of a restoration project of a Task Force-era factory flatbed for my '49 Big Bolt. The bed was originally on a '56 Chevy 2-ton. Even though the bed is not correct for my '49, it is closer than having a bed built. It will have to do until I can find a period correct bed for the truck.
To sum up, about all that was usable off the original bed were the outer rails (the important part anyway) and the crossmember braces. The crossmembers and the pieces that cover the tops of the wood frame rails (where the bed to truck frame u-bolts go) I had fabricated by our local Mennonite welder (he duplicated the original crossmembers almost perfectly -- the originals were stamped in one piece, Lloyd had to bend three pieces and weld them together).
The bed is reassembled and on the truck, waiting for the bed strips (on order from Mar-K) and the bed wood planks.
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
John, after all the years victory is really going to be sweeeet. When do we celebrate!! Hey, Dakota has a 2 ton you get as your next project. He's been trying to get it "down south" for a year or more but I rather YOU have it!! hehehe
That is great! I need to git me a local Mennonite welder...
I've been looking for references for original stake bed construction, and those photos are very helpful. That last photo that Grigg shot is super, too.
With Arnswine's SB Tech Tip and your photo gallery, I have been able to design my own flat bed. It's sad to hear she's up for sale, but someone's gonna buy a well built truck! Thanks for sharing the photos!
Thanks Dave -- Glad to hear my fumbling around was actually helpful to someone. Sorry I didn't see your question in September -- it really is 6 large u-bolts that clamp the runners to the frame. Because the runners aren't as wide as the frame rails, there are spacers that ride inside of the u-bolts along the runners to make up the difference.
Yep, ole Blue has to go, along with 2 or three of the others. Too many "mouths" to "feed" around here.
John
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
John, the link for the pics is bad do you have pics somewhere I could view. I would like to see how you did. Did you use metal bed strips? If so where did you find them?
Hey John; I'd like to see the pics as well. I'm doing pretty much the same conversion, got an old flatbed off of something and putting it onto my 1950 3800. Would love to see what you've done and how you did it.
Hey guys, I was looking for John's pictures of his flatbed build as well as I'm hoping to build one for my 1955 1st series NAPCO, Budd. I searched photobucket and I think I found the current link to those pictures. Hopefully, this is the album: Miliman Big Bolt
Alan Georgia Tech Research Faculty 1949 Chevy 3600, Fred 1955 1st series NAPCO 4x4, Budd
I'm rebuilding a '46 3/4 stake bed and have to replace the wooden rails that run the length of the frame between the frame and the bed like you did. What kind of wood did you use? As best I can tell they are 4" x 6" pieces that are cut out where the wheel portion of the frame curves. I've been told to use white oak, but man that's expensive, almost what I paid for the whole truck, lol. I've found a source of "barnwood" but most of it is pine. Would that be too soft a wood for that purpose?