The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (2-Ton, 1955 1 Series, Phak1), 126 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,091
Posts1,056,449
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#967347 08/27/2013 3:38 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 39
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 39
I have a small air filter in my 1951 truck with copper mesh inside. I have seen pictures of this same air filter mounted on top of a large oil bath canister.
Did these two pieces come as a combined unit in the original 1951 trucks or was the oil bath an option? I am trying to return the truck to original and would like to understand the air filter set up better.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The one you have is standard equipment on that truck. The one with the canister is for cars. It has a silenceing chamber in it. An oil bath air cleaner was an option.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Here are 1950 standard air cleaners for trucks.

Git_Er_Dun,
Are you referring to the air cleaners at the top left ("small air filter in my 1951 truck with copper mesh inside") and the top right ("same air filter mounted on top of a large oil bath canister"}? If yes, does the one on the upper right have an oil bath and/or is the bottom chamber a Silencer?

Here is the optional oil bath air cleaner for 1950 light trucks.

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
The one top left is very rare and if you have one, hold on to it. The optional link is the one that's the most popular. I have a bunch of those. Now and then, the air with copper mesh type comes on E-bay and they go for quite a bit. When they do come up, you will probably be bidding against me. I have this inherent problem with putting oil in an air cleaner, so I 'upgrade' my trucks to AIR cleaners. Not that its the best or anything, just that its the most manageable for me.


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
Originally Posted by Deve
The one top left is very rare and if you have one, hold on to it.

I was afraid of that frown I have this air cleaner but am missing the top. Im guessing that is the hardest parts to get.


1955 First Series 3100
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

The top left oil-wetted flame-arrestor air cleaner might now be rare but it was probably the most common air cleaner. It would not hurt putting a Parts Wanted ad in the Swap Meet (even stating that you only need the cover/top).

You will be competing with people who are either restoring-to-original or they need two "original style" air cleaners for dual-carb set-ups (I've been there).

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 39
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 39
Deve,

This is the air filter I have for my 3100. It sounds like I should hang onto it and not bother with the oil bath option, as you have implied.

Photostream

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
That's the one that's very hard to find. So yeah, hang onto it or sell it to another bolter. Anyone needing an oil bath type, lemme know. I don't like them myself. I have a bunch, and one day a helper decided to box them all up.. so rather than looking inside first, he stacked them very nicely sideways in the box, then put it on the top shelf. smile


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
Yeah the one on my truck is the upper one. I don't have the copper mesh part though, someone replaced it with a paper insert air filter.....

John

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

original oil-wetted element - copper-mesh w/metal rings

modern style paper element (maybe someone will post a less-expensive locally available paper element?)

For those who do not mind destroying an oil-bath filter, they can be adapted to use a modern-style filter element.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I have made the eliments out of copper scrub pads.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 30
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 30
The oil bath air cleaner is the BEST air cleaner you can get. It will take out smaller dust particles than anything else. Maximum engine protection.

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
Tim you are an encyclopedia of information on these trucks. Thanks for all you do! I need to place and order for the copper mesh. I just went to my local NAPA and got a lawn mower filter that fit perfectly. Like the one JC sells. Thanks again!


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Deve,

While I prefer the copper-mesh element, I know many other people will prefer the modern element. Post the brand and part number here and people will appreciate that.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
I'll have to look at the paper element in mine, see if there is still a readable number on it. Guessing, being 6" filter, sounds about the same as used in Kohler K series engines.

John

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 134
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 134
I used a Wix 42299 in mine. It's 6.07 OD and 3.07 tall.

Had to extend the threaded rod some to bolt it down but it works

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
I may have an extra lid for the standard (small) filter. Send me a pm if anyone is interested.

Also, The Filling Station is now selling repops of these, painted and chrome or stainless. These are NOT 100% exactly as original but look nice.
Jim


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Guys, we just had a loooong discussion that centered around the
spark arrestor air filter and it's element, pictures and all:

https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=965041#Post965041

And by the way, I find them fairly common since they were the
original equipment on the stock Stovebolt for many, many years
as Tim pointed out earlier.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
Oil bath air cleaners are much more efficient at well, cleaning the air. But are labor intensive. Oil bath cleaners are also less restrictive than paper elements.


Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
Anyone having an extra air filter/air cleaner type, please let me know. I could use about 4 of them. Thanks!


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I bet that other people might like them too. Maybe post a Parts Wanted ad in Swap Meet? If someone has one or more for sale, post a Parts for Sale ad in the Swap Meet.

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
Tim
What book are those pics taken from? Looks very interesting.



Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Mark,

The image was scanned from the 1949 Chevrolet Truck Data Book for Chevrolet Salesmen. A Truck Data Book Supplement was provided in 1950 (with a booklet describing differences between 1949 and 1950 trucks).

Jim Carter sells a 1949 reprint. The 1950 supplement is most likely not available in reprint.

GM also published those books in A-D years for 1947, 1951, 1953, 1954, 1955-1st, (and later years, and earlier years). I am not sure if there were separate books published in 1948, 1950, and 1952. If someone has one, maybe they will post a confirmation.

Those books have the most extensive information about what was standard and optional for each year. If the price list is included, all accessories were also listed. These books and GM Technical Specifications Manuals (available from the GM Heritage Center) are the best reference information for helping people find out what was most likely original equipment and original options/accessories. Most likely because there might be errors, omissions, or "holdovers" or "leftovers" parts at the beginning or end of any model year (and, dealer-installed oddities).

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
Many thanks, mi Amigo wink

Edit: On it's way to me

Last edited by Dogface; 09/03/2013 10:00 AM.

Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Tim,

On my salesman books the 1948 version is pages added into the 1947 book. I do have a separate dated 1952 version of the book see picture.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/8374820338/in/set-72157631872034068

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Thanks, Brad, I'll keep looking.

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 4
K
Moderated
Moderated
K Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 4
[quote=tclederman]
[url=http://www.1954advance-design.com/Web%20images/1950-standard-air-cleaners.jpg]Here are 1950 standard air cleaners for trucks.[/url]

I have the two pound oil bath air cleaner pictured in here. The filtering mesh in the canister is original and brittle and compressed. I have tried cleaning it but its still pretty bad. Can you buy replacement mesh stuff to go in the oil canister? I have not seen it in any of the catalogs.
The truck is a '52 3600 and the engine is a '59 235.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Here you go.
http://www.1954advance-design.com/Web%20images/1950-standard-air-cleaners.jpg

I don't remember but there was a thread a while back telling what to do or what to use. Someone will be along shortly with the right idea's.

Welcome to the Stovebolt. I'm sure you have other bolters in your area. Watch for them.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0