Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
188
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,441 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 | I was looking at the shot weather strip on my 1955 1st Series 6400 today and noticed these holes. What goes in them? I have four cabs sitting here and they all have them. Also noticed these holes. I would guess they support the window frame assembly?
Bruce | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | Access holes for fasteners????
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | I'd think the first ones are for rubber bumpers, the 2nd set may be to hold something inside the door like the rear section of window channel
Bill | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 | I agree with the door holes. They probably hold the channel for the window or something. However on the '54-'55 1st trucks I think they only had one door bumper per side which was down by the latch?
Bruce | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,286 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,286 | The holes in the cab at the top of the door opening are for lifting the cab on the assembly line.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | if those holes are from assembly then there should be some kind of plug in them from the factory
Bill | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 | I kinda agree with you Carl. It looks like a great place for one of their body jigs to lift the cab onto the chassis.
Bruce | | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,300 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,300 | I think the two in the door are for the track extension for the side window. The ones in the upper track of the cab above the door, I think are vent holes. I think Tim had a picture that explained the cab ventilation system. Maybe he will dig it out and post a link to it. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 | I think the two in the door are for the track extension for the side window. The ones in the upper track of the cab above the door, I think are vent holes. I think Tim had a picture that explained the cab ventilation system. Maybe he will dig it out and post a link to it. I think you're right Greg,after all the AD cab was marketed as "The cab that breathes". I thought the holes on the rear edge of the door were for the glasss channel too,although they're in a slightly different location to the earlier pre-51 doors on mine.
Last edited by jockbolter50; 07/19/2013 2:10 AM.
1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in ScotlandIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pix on Flickr. I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | The two holes in the door are for screws that go into the bracket on the glass-run guide-channel (Factory Assembly Manual, Sheet 1, Section 22). There was a lock clip that ran between the two screws, and with bend-up lock-tabs on the lock clip.
I just now looked at that page in the FAM - I took those lock clips off my Suburban during restoration. The lock clip was not painted - it was raw/galvanized, so it looked like it did not belong there. Oh well, another day, another tidbit learned - thanks you all for pursuing this question/discussion.
Regarding the two holes above the door in the cab. They were not plugged in any of my vehicles (two of which had original cab windlace and original cardboard roof panels (undisturbed, in other words).
I dimly recall someone posting here a factory assembly photo showing the cab being held/lifted/lowered/installed onto the frame by an overhead assembly-line jig/hanger that used those hole above both door openings. And, as Greg noted above, I dimly recall finding a GM illustration of those holes not being plugged - they were described as being part of air-flow in the cab? I will continue looking for that information/illustration.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 | Thanks Tim, as always you pulled the rabbit out of the hat!
Bruce | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,286 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,286 | I'm wondering if the marketing ploy of "the cab that breathes" was to address the deafening sound inside the cab from all the air leaks in these trucks. I'm not complaining about all the noise, sounds like sweet music to me!
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | ....and it was with interest in the first link Tim posted that there was a note saying..."cab is mounted after the chassis is painted". This was on the GMC.
...Tim, as always, thanks for your dedication.
Last edited by Achipmunk; 07/21/2013 11:18 PM.
| | |
| |