The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (John Dlugos, Buckeye998, Gray_Ghost, Gdads51, dt235sd, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53), 236 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#940585 05/03/2013 4:15 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
How much POR paint do I need to paint the frame of my 58 Apache? I'll include the front and rear axles, leafsprings, etc.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
I am a fan of their small can package, it contains six 4-ounce cans. A can that size does 12 square feet or 72 advertised feet total. Nice thing about the small cans is it is a workable amount without having to worry about resealing. I have found that once they are opened they can dry out on you pretty quickly. If you are working from a quart or pint can that can get expensive. I did my AD frame with one of these packs.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
When I tried a similar product I screwed a couple self tapping screws in the top and pour out of them. Slow to pour but let me reuse the can over the course of several months.


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
using the smaller can, in most cases, be a little more costly but it will save in the long run.

...I drill a 1/4" hole in the center of the can and pour out what I need. Then I put a piece of duct tape over the hole, flip the can one time and set it back on the shelf. I did this with a can for over a year and it never set up hard on me. I have also heard stovebolters say to put it in the refrigerator between uses. I just keep mine in the shop.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,362
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,362
It will need a top coat of something. It is not UV resistant, areas that get any UV will chalk up ie look crappy.


Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks.
Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.


As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 110
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 110
A quart did my `59 frame, brushing it on.


1959 Shortbed stepside 1/2 ton project
[Linked Image from i236.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from i236.photobucket.com]
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
Thanks to all for their input and advice. So the POR goes on the bare metal frame (I am going to soda blast all the frame and other parts that will be receiving the POR.). What goes on top of the POR? Thought I recalled seeing in another Forum discussion that POR has a topcoat product.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I've used POR15 mostly where "the sun don't shine" and its held up incredibly well. POR does make topcoats. Just check out their web. A quart will easily do two coats on most chassis just note the re-coat time window.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0