The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wheelie, tclederman, Woodcmiami), 113 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#937877 04/23/2013 9:52 AM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
I have put in a new sbc, and at about 2000 rpm it starts to act out of balance. It is especially noticeable on a hard downshift. Anyway to try and determine the culprit, other than start replacing parts? I have to assume at this time that it is an external part issue. It is mated up to a 4 speed.
Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy SD66Burb, we need more information to make intelligent comments, Engine size and year, components used, for example clutch/flywheel, balancer?

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
I would look at the u joints on the driveshaft, and check the rearend pinion bearing.


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
Check the hanger bearing for the driveshaft if it has one.

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
Another thought, since you replaced the engine, did you put a pilot shaft bushing in the crankshaft?


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
I kept getting burnt on rebuilding the 283, so I put in a new GM 350,290hp crate motor. Gen I block, new Harmonic Balancer, Clutch Disk, Pressure Plate, Old Flywheel resurfaced. It's in a 60 vette. Rest of drive line is good. It starts to shimmy while setting still, also moving

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
The flywheel is believe is your problem. If your motor has the one piece rear main seal you need a flywheel to go with the external balanced motor.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
No, this is still the 2 piece seal, internally balanced.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Originally Posted by SD66Burb
....new Harmonic Balancer, Clutch Disk, Pressure Plate, Old Flywheel resurfaced. It starts to shimmy while setting still, also moving


Any of those new parts could be defective or out of balance but my guess is a bad resurface job and/or lost balance weight off the flywheel. Since it does it while the car is sitting, that isolates it to something in the engine or clutch area.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
Thanks guy's, just thought I might get lucky, and some one would say, just do "this". Time to start tearing things apart

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Check the new front harmonic balancer FIRST.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
How do you check a Harmonic Balancer? I indicated the face and OD, and it runs good.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
....burb, if its true your in good shape but be sure to check it for any cracks. When it starts vibrating take it out of gear but keep the RPM's up and see if there is any difference and if so where it is the difference.
Put it on jack stands and try a few things. Could it possibly be a tire mounted incorrectly as in the tire bead is not seated properly?
Let us know what you find out. Curosity is killing me!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
AChipmunk, sorry for the delay, but I have been feverishly trying to sort this thing out. Good news is, it's gone, bad news, not sure what exactly it was. You know the old addage, if you throw enough time and money at it, it will eventually go away. I had the tranny out 3 times, and the last time I took the bell housing back off, rebalanced the flywheel and (new) pressure plate, changed pressure plate bolts, reflattened all faces of bellhousing, crank flange, etc. Vibration gone. Now I get to enjoy it.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
congrats and thanks for giving everyone the heads up


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0