The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Otto Skorzeny, J Lucas, dt235sd, Cosmo, jeffreyguy, Charles in CA, LAROKE), 132 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,221
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#918698 02/09/2013 7:40 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
I spent 5 GLORIOUS hours taking my 65 C10 apart. Another day like this and I can fire my psychiatrist!!!! LOL!

Before

After


Last edited by Lugnutz; 02/09/2013 7:43 PM.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 207
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 207
Looks like a good day. Now you have lots of things to do, clean, clean, and more cleaning. Now I'm off to start putting the windows and mechanisms back in my driver's door.

Thanks for the pictures.


Tom
1965 Chevy C10, 230 straight six, 2WD, 4-speed manual
Lugnutz #918811 02/10/2013 12:25 PM
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 19
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 19
Too bad the putting together isn't as quick as taking it apart! It is wonderful therapy!

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Jay, does Ruth ever think you'll get it all back together? smile
I'm betting you'll be riding before the year is out!! Thanks for the pics. If you ever need another set of hands on a saturday give me a call. I can clean pretty good!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
What made me so happy was, I've never taken a truck apart like that before! Now I just have to get it prepared so I can put it back together BEFORE I FORGET where everything goes! I think I could actually do it too!

For you folks who don't know me well, that's quite a bit of progress for me, a guy who wasn't turning wrenches until about 2 years ago. Not braggin'. Just saying that the learning process is what's so fun for me. laalaa

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 725
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 725
You've learned a hellova lot in 2 years! You are the kind of fella who does good work on whatever does and it shows! You'll finish yours waaaaaay before I'll finish one of mine!

Best wishes,

Les

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
With 20% of the easy part done, what is the plan?

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
I clearly remeber your advice Tony. Don't blow it up! I have kept that in mind the whole time.

This is a true shade tree restoration. Weather, daylight and time permitting.

Stage 1 complete
Bed off and in storage.
Bodywork on bed pieces pending.
All brakes/lines are new and completely redone.
All frame behind the cab is cleaned and restored.
Front and rear suspension is newly restored including new shocks.
Rear diff cleaned, new bearings and seals.

Stage 2 complete
Engine runs and factory tranny shifts in all gears/reverse.
factory gauge cluster is restored
Steering wheel restored and ready for paint
body panels in front of cab removed and stored.
protective cover for the engine constructed and in place.

Stage 3 (to begin ASAP)
remove cab glass and doors
remove cab and place on cradle
restore remainder of frame
lift engine and freshen it up
beg, borrow or buy 5 speed MT (T5 or Tremec) research ongoing
install tranny crossmember
modify driveshaft

Stage 4
Restore cab then epoxy primer
restore doors
more bodywork and epoxy primer

etc. (does it ever end?) laalaa

Last edited by Lugnutz; 02/17/2013 8:48 PM.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Jay, yeah, your still a little green. A veteran knows not to ask that question because they are NEVER finished smile

....that said I'll have to admit your work belies the fact that this is your first resto.... and I'll tell you now, it won't be your last. Now tell me, aren't you already wondering what your next one will be?....what style?..... what year?....LOL


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by Achipmunk
Jay, yeah, your still a little green. A veteran knows not to ask that question because they are NEVER finished smile

....that said I'll have to admit your work belies the fact that this is your first resto.... and I'll tell you now, it won't be your last. Now tell me, aren't you already wondering what your next one will be?....what style?..... what year?....LOL

My first restore was all farmed out. Sure, I took some things apart and then back together. I own screwdrivers. Doesn't everyone?
This truck truly is my first restoration. My goal is to do it all myself. A professional shop could do some things better, but I'll only use them if it can't be done by me, such as front end alignment, etc. I won't risk or compromise on safety issues either.

I think Tony got the impression that I had just gotten this project started. Although I have plenty left to do, I can feel the momentum building. I'm continually surprised at what good shape this truck is in. The usual rust places are in terrific shape. When I see what some folks have to deal with, I feel embarrassed that mine is in such good condition. Not bragging, just means that I have less hassle to deal with and less expense too.

I'm already on the hunt for a T5 tranny. Cab is gonna come off soon. Then I might have you come down for a visit and lunch on me.
Thanks to everyone who encourages me and other novices to keep at it. It makes it all that much more fun.

Last edited by Lugnutz; 02/17/2013 8:19 PM.
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
you do not have to install a trans rear crossmember unless you are going to the newer style bellhousing that doesn't mount to the existing crossmember
ron

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by padresag
you do not have to install a trans rear crossmember unless you are going to the newer style bellhousing that doesn't mount to the existing crossmember
ron
If you mean that the T5 non WC tranny can use my factory crossmember, then that is great news! I think I found exactly what I need. 2.95 first gear and .70 OD gear in a T5 nonWC case.

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Cab is ready to come off the frame tomorrow. I removed the doors, windshield, seat and fuel tank today. I recently found a 1988 WC T5 freshly taken from a V8 Camaro. That means my drivetrain plan is ahead of schedule too (and I do plan to rebuild the T5).

My BLOG is the easiest way to review my recent pics.
Here are a few as well.

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/...0C10/Windshield/102_2474_zpsb270d744.jpg

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/...0C10/Windshield/102_2475_zps18394377.jpg

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/...0C10/Windshield/102_2481_zpsecba9d7d.jpg

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/...0C10/Windshield/102_2482_zps3c377dbb.jpg



Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0