| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (WICruiser, Youngin' Tut 59, Rick Brown, Gdads51, Hotrod Lincoln, KEVINSKI, 3800GUY, TUTS 59, 1 invisible),
106
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,116 Posts1,056,589 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 182 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 182 | I got a new steering mast bearing from Jim Carter and also the horn button retainer that apparently goes on top of it. From what I can tell the steering mast bearing goes in the steering column and is used as a race to house the bearing balls, otherwise why call it a bearing, right? Unfortunately there are no bearing balls in the package it came in. Am I right and are there supposed to be bearing balls in this race that get get held in place by the horn button retainer that sits of top of it and, if so, how many and what diameter of balls? I got this truck in pieces so I don't have what was originally in the top of the steering column. Thanks for any help. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | I don't see the mast bearing for pre-46 on Carters site, but if you got something like this, that is the bearing not a 'race', you don't buy an assemble-it-yourself bearing .... if you have something much different you'll need to link a picture for anyone to know what's happening Bill | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 182 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 182 | Yes, that's the one. Thanks. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | I tend to call them "bushings" more than bearing!! I was replacing a "bearing" on a 67 column and while a true bearing is available the vendor sent me a brass "bushing". Somethings just don't make sense!! | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 182 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 182 | | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 | I got mine from Chev's of the 40s. Looks just like the one red58 pointed out. It works just fine. | | |
| |
| |