The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ponchogl, dt235sd, 1 invisible), 100 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,569
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 182
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 182
I got a new steering mast bearing from Jim Carter and also the horn button retainer that apparently goes on top of it. From what I can tell the steering mast bearing goes in the steering column and is used as a race to house the bearing balls, otherwise why call it a bearing, right? Unfortunately there are no bearing balls in the package it came in. Am I right and are there supposed to be bearing balls in this race that get get held in place by the horn button retainer that sits of top of it and, if so, how many and what diameter of balls? I got this truck in pieces so I don't have what was originally in the top of the steering column. Thanks for any help.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
I don't see the mast bearing for pre-46 on Carters site, but if you got something like this, that is the bearing not a 'race', you don't buy an assemble-it-yourself bearing .... if you have something much different you'll need to link a picture for anyone to know what's happening

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 182
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 182
Yes, that's the one. Thanks.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I tend to call them "bushings" more than bearing!! I was replacing a "bearing" on a 67 column and while a true bearing is available the vendor sent me a brass "bushing".
Somethings just don't make sense!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 182
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 182
I agree.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
I got mine from Chev's of the 40s. Looks just like the one red58 pointed out. It works just fine.


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0