Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,087 Posts1,056,338 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | Somehow I lost the tab that goes on the rod that the spring hooks onto. I will be welding a homemade tab on just as soon as someone can tell me where on the rod it is suppose to be. How many inches from the end of the rod?
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Not sure if this is what you're asking about Jim, but there is no tab on the rod. The spring just hooks into the link, which is hooked into the clevis: http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/134021809/largeDenny Graham Sandwich, IL
Last edited by Denny Graham; 02/13/2013 11:29 AM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | Thanks Denny, that makes the problem a bit easier to navigate. My factory assembly manual shows the tab, of course the manual is for the 54. I just remembered there were two drawings, one of the long bed and one of the short bed. I'm at my office and will need to check the book when I get home. Perhaps the long bed was the reason for the tab. However if I remember correctly yours is a 3/4 ton (long bed).
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Jim, my rod with the tab is of my 1/2 ton '52panel. From the end that is not adjustable it measures 27 1/2" to the center of the eye on the tab. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | The panel must be a 3102 because that 27.5" measurement on mine is the full length of the rod minus the tab. ???
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | actually Jim, its a 3105....or I think it should be! The clevis on one end can be adjusted and on the other end it "looks" like a clevis but is part of, are factory welded as part of the rod and is not adjustable. I measured from the very end of the non-adjustabel end to the hole in the tab.... I didn't measure the entire length but I'll bet its close to the 50 1/2" listed in the parts catalog as it seemed to be about half way! To late to go out and double check, and its raining!!!
Last edited by Achipmunk; 02/13/2013 8:21 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | Alvin,
This is what mine looks like: Clevis_________27"__________clevis______________clevis
From the rear clevis to the mid clevis is 27.5". I suppose I could hook up the spring with a long hook between the two rear clevis.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Yes, mine is a ’50, 3604. It’s been five or six years since I re-did all of the brake work Jim, but I did a lot of research on that return spring. It just didn’t look right to me, a bit lacking in design but I believe that was the way the ¾ ton return spring was attached. I did some work on a friends ’50 ½ ton and the brake rod did have a tab welded on it that the spring hooked into and there is no link like on the ¾ ton, so I don’t think you can compare the two. Although it’s kind of a half asrsed setup, so was the throttle wire retaining the throttle link to the Rochester B and I thought the same thing about that, but it’s worked as I said, for the last 63 years on my truck.
DG
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | My 50' 3600 is the same exact set-up as in Denny's picture. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | At some point GM must have decided the tab was needed because they show up in the factory assembly manual. Weird!
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | OK, ya got me curiosity up Jim, so I dug me FAM out and it indeed does say that the illustration applies to the 3604 also. So………I took me Kodak out to the cold, cold barn and crawled under the ’54. I haven’t started the under side work on her yet, in fact I haven’t done anything on her for more than a year. Well sure enough, I ups me pictures to the confuser and here they are: http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/148786850/large http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/148786851/large The ’54, 3604 uses a single piece rod just like the ½ ton and it does have a tab wrapped half way round the rod and spot welded to it. The earlier i.e. pre-’54-’55 1st 3604 uses a two-piece rod. Enjoy! Denny Graham Somewhere north of Sandwich, IL
Last edited by Denny Graham; 02/14/2013 6:40 PM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Believe it or not but my 52panel had the rod like Denny's picture. I checked my notes it was a two piece deal...meaning there was the piece of wire with the spring hooking to it.
...and I checked my overall length tonight and it is 50 3/4" from the end of the "fixed" clevis to the very end of the threaded end.
Don't know if this helps any, or anyone, just trying to contribute. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | I love a good mystery, but only if it's solved. It looks like we have an answer here. My next question is, where can I find a hook like the one in your pic Denny?
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Ok, so here is the way it looks to me. The early 3604 AD’s up to and including 1953 used a two piece pull rod for the parking brake that did not have a tab welded on the rear rod. The spring was linked to a 7” long hook that was hooked to the front clevis of that rear rod. http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/148792357/large http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/148792014/large The 1954-55 1st 3604 had a single piece pull rod with a tab spot-welded to it that the spring was hooked into and used a short hook to link it to the crossmember gusset at the rear. I do not have any first hand information on the ½ ton other than the 1950 did have a single piece pull rod with a tab welded to it. I have no information or documentation on the big bolts or the panel trucks. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Last edited by Denny Graham; 02/15/2013 9:26 AM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | Jim I believe I have a couple extra hooks send me a PM. | | |
| |