The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Lightholder's Dad, Hawkman, Gdads51, BCBill, 1 invisible), 183 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,175
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
As you all know I am in the process of restoring a 1930 Chevrolet Universal AD - Canopy Express, [ 1930 Chevrolet Universal AD - Canopy Express Truck Project ] when I acquired the Truck I got it in Pieces and Parts, mostly dissasembled. I have been doing research, reading on forums, etc. Have several books on hand and now getting underway on restoring. I have decided on doing a Driver Restoration, not planning on competing in any shows or trying to win any awards or accolades, just want to build a period close vehicle to enjoy and drive on occassion. Here is what I know, the engine has been rebuilt as well as the transmission. Most all of the Structural wood has been redone, a lot of the metal work has been done.

My question is what is the best, easiest procedure of assembly from this point for doing a restoration ?? Considering I will be starting from a completetly dissamble vehicle. (As of Yesterday anyays)

My first step was to Take Inventory of What I have, I laid out everything, and made a list of what I had on hand.

Now I am trying to Develop a Plan of Action:
How to attack this project and what to do when and the order.

I am thinking that while it is completely apart, to clean up the frame, as it is in really great shape, a little surface rust here and there. Clean it up, throw on a fresh coat of paint, and then pull the wheels and check the bearings, brakes, suspension, and other components contained there in. Get a fully functioning rolling chassis.

Then not sure after that, do I assemble & install, and set up the drivetrain, or start putting on the body back half, cab, up to the cowl. Then do the drive train, wiring, dash (gauges). Just trying to figure out the most logical and easierst method to do this from where I am now, with out having to take it back apart because i forgot something ( which is inevitable ), or take something off to put something in that should have been done first.

Let me know how you guys have approached and attacked, this, or lessons you ahve learned from doing a restoration.


1929 Chevrolet AC International - 4 Door
1930 Chevrolet AD Universal - Canopy Express Truck
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
[/font]
- - In the Stovebolt Gallery
-- In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
I think your process with starting at the frame and suspension is the right one. Personally if you have the coin to spend, move onto the drivetrain and build the body around the engine/tranny already installed. If I had one torn apart like that I figure it's easier to install the body around the drivetrain than to install the drivetrain with the body installed.

Anybody who tackles trucks from the 30's and before has my respect as so much changed from one year to the next.

Good luck!

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 83
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 83
I would definitly start with the frame. Do the frame, add the running gear and suspension, then add the body last. Thats how its done in the factory.


1953 1 ton panel
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
Frame, suspension, drive train, test drive,repair what doesn't work, body, wiring....all the while removing rust and painting parts as you go along. Don't forget to buy need parts before you need them.

I took mine out for its maiden car cruise today. Still have more to do. smile


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
All consistently good advice.


~Jim
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
Wow, it seems that everyone has their own way of doing this... But that is good, gives me options !!

YES, I got the truck in pieces, but I did a complete mock up of the body, check in my photos and you will see the body was pretty much completely assembled on the frame. Everything seems to fit nicely, sure there will be some work involved smile That is what makes this even more fun it NOT knowing what went where, and not having any reference on HOW to put this thing together...

Also the engine and tranny have already been rebuilt, and looks good from a general overview & inspection.

Most all of the body work & repair has been done, just needs some touch up, sanding and then final painting.

I spent this past weekend tearing down my mock up and yes I have plenty of pictures and sketches of what goes where, which hardware to use where, etc...

I plan on spending the next month or so cleaning up (sanding, scrubbing, prepping) the frame for primer and paint. then I will get onto the suspension and brakes. Would like to beg a complete solid rolling chassis first. (Frame, Suspension, and Brakes) anything else I should do while on this Chassis/ Frame Mode ?!? I try to stay one step ahead, so that I am ordering parts, pieces, etc for the next phase while I am working on the current phase.

Last edited by BearsFan315; 07/31/2012 8:55 PM.

1929 Chevrolet AC International - 4 Door
1930 Chevrolet AD Universal - Canopy Express Truck
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
[/font]
- - In the Stovebolt Gallery
-- In the Gallery Forum
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
Well...

Been on vacation with the family, and will be home in a few days, once i return, (unpack, settle in, and get caught up on the home front) I will be back to work on the 1930. Plan is to cleam up and get a fresh coat of paint on the Chassis.

In doing the chassis should I do the chassis then go back and take care of the brake components. I plan on painting the steel wheels eventually, but figure I would do that near the end of the restoration.

Anything else I should consider or look at while in this phase ?!?


1929 Chevrolet AC International - 4 Door
1930 Chevrolet AD Universal - Canopy Express Truck
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
[/font]
- - In the Stovebolt Gallery
-- In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 40
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 40
even tho it's going to be a driver. I'd go above and beyond with the frame.... I'd hate to get it together and running and then get a stress crack in the frame...

as others have said I'd get the motor and tranny back in and double check all the mounts and reinforce if needed. Then move onto steering and breaks... it's a lot easier to run the hard lines with out the body, provided you are upgrading those...


After searching for a year I found the next project!
46' 1/2 ton in pieces! took 2 trips to get it home, but most of the hard work was already done!!!

-jerry
"Phil" the 46'

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
Well after reading and researching I am going to start on hte frame, clean it up, prime it and then paint. Going to start there. figure that is the Foundation of my 1930 and need a solid foundation in order to build the 1930.

Then I will work on suspension and brakes. Get a good clean functioning rolling chassis...


1929 Chevrolet AC International - 4 Door
1930 Chevrolet AD Universal - Canopy Express Truck
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
[/font]
- - In the Stovebolt Gallery
-- In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 40
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 40
Take lots of pics!!!! everything is better with pics!!!!

It's going to be one * of a process that takes time and money.... Cleaning up stuff is cheap while you save up for new items. Pick one area and focus on that... do keep the big picture in mind, but try not to get overwhelmed with it all. I'm at you're stage right now working on the frame and suspension... However, I get side tracked and start looking for things I wont need until waaaaaayyyyyyy later in the build.... Also set limits on how far you are willing to invest both time and money into specific things.... ie;engine, body work, paint, interior, ect... If it's not going to be a show truck you may not need to have that perfect cab and fenders? or dropping $2000 grand into the engine with shiny new stuff, when a fresh rebuild will do?

My plan so far is loosely like this...
1)frame and suspension
2)Engine, Tranny, brakes, Tires
3)Cab placement and rough fit. Doors and stuff
4)Engine bay
5)Bed, fuel system, electrical
6)rough interior, seats, console
7)fenders and exterior details
8)Odds and ends
9)disassemble and final prep for paint
10)paint
11)reassemble
12)finish interior
13)odds and ends
14) Drive it!!!!!

Estimated time to complete, 2 years with my work schedule... provided no major issues pop up!

Last edited by cletis; 08/20/2012 6:54 PM. Reason: language

After searching for a year I found the next project!
46' 1/2 ton in pieces! took 2 trips to get it home, but most of the hard work was already done!!!

-jerry
"Phil" the 46'

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Bearsfan,

Don't forget time for fieldtrips and socializing with other truck folks that will provide the extra hands when needed. The ODSS group is big on fieldtrips and socializing.

Hambone


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
Lugnutzz3000... I like your Plan of Action, very similar to what I am planning on doing with mine. Putting Tires of till the end, or close there abouts, so they do not dry rot sitting around on the truck or get damaged in the process. I am also going to ensure that it runs before i do a complete rough up of the body, fenders, bed, etc... so that i can easily access and fix/ correct any issues that may arise.

I have set my goal to be 18 months ( LMAO ) sure that is not practical but hey... I will give myself Till end of 2014 to get it in test drive mode before tear down to finla paint smile

and as Hambone stated, socialization and field trips !! those are covered as well... in fact goingto do one this weekend.

Been trying to find local bolters in the area to meet with, but no luck to date :/


1929 Chevrolet AC International - 4 Door
1930 Chevrolet AD Universal - Canopy Express Truck
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
[/font]
- - In the Stovebolt Gallery
-- In the Gallery Forum
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
Ok, Spent the saturday working on the frame. Stripping it down and putting a coat of Primer on. About 1/5 Done. Taking my time and trying to do it right. First time I have ever attempted anything like this, so ... Also I am doing this with an angle grinder and wire brushes, as well as by hand in the hard to reach spots. Yes I am wearing PPE, Safety Goggles, Face Shield, Respirator and long sleeves & pants. Wires & paint flying everywhere !!

Here are some Pictures from Saturday:
Huckster: Frame Prime 01

Tomorrow hoping to get another section done.


1929 Chevrolet AC International - 4 Door
1930 Chevrolet AD Universal - Canopy Express Truck
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
[/font]
- - In the Stovebolt Gallery
-- In the Gallery Forum
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
Ok, was able to get back out and do some more work sunday on the frame getting another section done. Had to get more primer, and ended up destroying both Wire Brushes I had on hand, so back to the store for some more if i plan on getting naythign done tomorrow !!

Here are some Pictures from Sunday:
Huckster: Frame Prime 02

Tomorrow hoping to get another section done, Since I will be home hanging out with the kids :-)


1929 Chevrolet AC International - 4 Door
1930 Chevrolet AD Universal - Canopy Express Truck
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
[/font]
- - In the Stovebolt Gallery
-- In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Bear
Good looking work.


~Jim
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
Originally Posted by BearsFan315
Putting Tires of till the end, or close there abouts, so they do not dry rot sitting around on the truck or get damaged in the process.

We use a set of old tires and rims during the restore projects and replace them with new at the very end.

Our attack plan usually goes like this:

Frame
Suspension
engine/drive train
brakes
cab
wiring
interior
doors
front clip
bed
tires

John


My Fleet:
1941
1953
1959
1965
1966
1953 Willy's Pickup

John

Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
Thanks for the info...
sounds like a good plan of attack wink

Do have a curiosity Question for you, Why do you do the Driveline BEFORE doing the brakes ??


1929 Chevrolet AC International - 4 Door
1930 Chevrolet AD Universal - Canopy Express Truck
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
[/font]
- - In the Stovebolt Gallery
-- In the Gallery Forum
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
Well another great day to grind, brush and prime !! spent another few hours outside on the frame, got another section done. This section was tedious, hand to hand work a lot of the areas. Also looks like that will be it for working on the frame for a few days, weather is back in the freezing zone. last 3 Days were sunny and in the 50's +, not suppose to get above freezing. Also have to get back to work tomorrow... Got to work to support my habit :p

Here are some Pictures from Monday:
Huckster: Frame Prime 03

About 3/5 Done with the Frame itself... then >?< guess springs, cross memeber, axles, then onto the steering rods, or who knows...


1929 Chevrolet AC International - 4 Door
1930 Chevrolet AD Universal - Canopy Express Truck
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
[/font]
- - In the Stovebolt Gallery
-- In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
Originally Posted by BearsFan315
Do have a curiosity Question for you, Why do you do the Driveline BEFORE doing the brakes ??

No real reason, it's just the way we do it. We could do the brakes first and then the drive train - but it's just not the way we did/do it. That's what's nice about this hobby. Everyone has their one specail way of doing somethings. And what's great about this site is everyone is willing to share their thoughts......

Last edited by johntsmith; 01/23/2013 6:45 AM.

My Fleet:
1941
1953
1959
1965
1966
1953 Willy's Pickup

John

Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
OK, just wanted to make sure there was no learning reason behind the process. Did not know if you had learned from experience, always a method to the madness smile

Thanks for the info...


1929 Chevrolet AC International - 4 Door
1930 Chevrolet AD Universal - Canopy Express Truck
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
[/font]
- - In the Stovebolt Gallery
-- In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 603
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 603
I have restored many 2 cyl. John Deere Tractors. This is my first attempt on a big truck (1957 GMC 370 LCF 2 1/4 Ton.) I am using close to the same procedure on it. When I bought it, it ran good, would work in all gears, BUT, NO BRAKES. I started by completely rebuilding the brakes, so I will be able to actually drive it to find any other major problems. Then: Decision time, do I sell it or restore it? If there seems to be no major problems with steering, engine, trans, rear end, Then tear down and begin the restoration.


57 GMC LCF 370
55 John Deere 40-W
59 John Deere 430-W
2000 GMC 4x4
56 John Deere 420-W
Pix on Photobucket
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
Well continued onward & Forward, Identified some ofthe Clutch Assembly Components I have on hand...

Working on Identifying which one is right, or if either is right :?:
Huckster: Clutch Components


1929 Chevrolet AC International - 4 Door
1930 Chevrolet AD Universal - Canopy Express Truck
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
[/font]
- - In the Stovebolt Gallery
-- In the Gallery Forum
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
Love a Three day weekend smile on top of that Monday was a beautiful afternoon, once the rain stopped and the sun came out, Temps hit the 70's !! So I rolled out the 30 and spent another few hours outside on the frame. Actually finished up the Frame section and got it all Primed !!

Here are some Pictures from Monday:
Huckster: Frame Prime 04

Today suppose to be back cool again, plus back to work for me...

Last edited by BearsFan315; 04/02/2013 2:39 PM. Reason: Fixed Picture Link

1929 Chevrolet AC International - 4 Door
1930 Chevrolet AD Universal - Canopy Express Truck
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
[/font]
- - In the Stovebolt Gallery
-- In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
OOPS the photo link didn't work.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 256
Thanks Wayne, think it is fixed now !!


1929 Chevrolet AC International - 4 Door
1930 Chevrolet AD Universal - Canopy Express Truck
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
[/font]
- - In the Stovebolt Gallery
-- In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
Looks great, nice work.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0