The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (klhansen), 146 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,289
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 402
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 402
Ever since I received my truck (in pieces), I have wondered about the coil connection to the distributor.

Mine had a piece of bathtub rubber stopper between the wire from the coil and the side of the distributor:

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa397/fourbrads/57%20chevy/IMG_1219_zps60f553f3.jpg

I added a rubber grommet when I cleaned up the engine bay a bit, but always wondered if this wire to the points required isolation from the distributor, which is, I assume, grounded to the block.

Can I delete the makeshift grommet? I am having trouble keeping the wire tight there and the pictures I see on some parts vendors sites don't seem to have a grommet or washer there.

Thanks,

Jim


1957 Chevrolet 3100 Stepside
235, 3-speed w/OD
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
yes, it needs to be isolated from ground - that's some PO's makeshift repair for the correct isolator piece, there's originally a square-ish hard rubber plug in that hole with a built in stud that's threaded on both sides of the case - sort of shown in the manual - I don't think any vendor offers the terminal, but you should try to find one

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 402
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 402
Thanks, Bill. That's just what I needed.

I will have to try to find something similar because how it's "engineered" right now is not working.

Appreciate the fast reply.

Jim


1957 Chevrolet 3100 Stepside
235, 3-speed w/OD
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 55
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 55
I just noticed your post so sorry for the late response, but I recently picked up both the inner and outer piece from Obsolete Chevy. It's called either a Distributor Terminal Stud bushing or a Distributor shield. I talked to Helen there and she sold me both pieces.

http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.a...com&TITLE=Obsolete_Chevrolet_Part_Co


1956 Apache
1959 Apache
1966 DeVille
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 402
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 402
Thanks RayFischer!

I will call them tomorrow.

Jim


1957 Chevrolet 3100 Stepside
235, 3-speed w/OD
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0