The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gray_Ghost, RoseB), 153 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#887398 10/06/2012 4:32 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 15
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 15
AFTER TAKING ANOTHER LOOK AT MY 46 COE,DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS THE ORIGINAL REAREND? HERE ARE SOME PICS.IT IS A FIVE LUG,BUT THE LUGNUT STUDS ARE WAY BIGGER DIAMETER THAN THE FRONT.ALSO IT LOOKS TO BE A MECHANICAL SHIFTED 2-SPD REAR.
PHOTOBUCKET.COM


1979 Jeep CJ7
1946 CHEVY COE
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
B
Camp Commandant
Camp Commandant
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
I can't say whether it is original or not but it doesn't look anything like mine, maybe some kind of special order deal? Mine is 10 lug on the back and all the lug nuts are the same, front to rear.
This is the only shot I could find on my album but will take another shot of something specific if needed.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2867988640083734483MyNAgz


~ Billy
Old Dominion Stovebolt Society: Exotic Animal Division
1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine | In the Gallery | Video | More pictures
1959 GMC 860 | Pictures
1950 Chevrolet 3800 | Pictures
I've got a trailer and I'm not afraid to use it!
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
It's hard to tell by the picture, but GMC used a 5 lug pattern on some trucks. The studs are larger than the typical Chevrolet pattern and the bolt circle is bigger as well.

If you found a set of rear drums and hubs from a Chevy, you could probably swap them out to make all four wheels match. It's pretty simple.

What does the bolt circle measure? And what size are the lugs?

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 15
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 15
Thanks Bill,I looked at your pic and sure enough there is some differences between the 2.I noticed that the housings looked the same,but the chunks were completely different.I don't have it home yet,but hoping in another 2 weeks,then I can really do some research on it.I'll keep everyone posted.


1979 Jeep CJ7
1946 CHEVY COE
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 15
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 15
Thanks for the info Jeff.I'll be back over where the truck is this coming week to prep it for it's trip to it's new home and I'll be able to take some measurements.I do know that the lug nuts are bigger than 1",but I'll make sure.I'll keep you posted.Thanks Again!!


1979 Jeep CJ7
1946 CHEVY COE
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 413
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 413
That looks like the same rear end that I have, it's an Eaton 1350 with vacuum shift.
You have the bracket for the vacuum pod, but I see the pod is missing.
Her's mine http://s675.photobucket.com/albums/vv111/JeffL_album/?action=view&current=100_0857.jpg
My truck is a 45 GMC, mine is original to the truck. It is possible this could be your original, Im not sure if these were available on a Chevy or not.

Last edited by JeffL; 10/07/2012 9:31 AM.
JeffL #887573 10/07/2012 11:43 AM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 15
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 15
You nailed it Jeff!After looking at your pics,It is identical to yours with the exception of the missing vacuum pot.Even the lug studs and nuts are identical.What are the gear ratios and are parts still available for these or would it be better to find a "newer" higher geared 2 spd?I'm making a tow rig out of it so it will need to go at super slab speeds.LOL!!

Last edited by olehillbilly; 10/07/2012 11:51 AM.

1979 Jeep CJ7
1946 CHEVY COE
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 413
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 413
The ratio,s for that puppy are,
High 6.33
low 8.81
Im not sure yet what is still available for these.
I think you can still get all the bearings.

Just to verify that you have what I have, if you look up top next to the filler plug, the 6.33 ratio should be stamped there.
below that should be the axle ID # which should read 26059.

Last edited by JeffL; 10/07/2012 4:03 PM.
JeffL #887822 10/08/2012 10:37 AM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 15
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 15
Thanks for the info.I will check that out when I go over there tomorrow. BTW what size socket fits the rear lug nuts?My 4-way lug wrench fits the front but not the rear.I was going take a socket and breaker bar with me to remove one of the dual rear tires so it could be loaded on a roll back.


1979 Jeep CJ7
1946 CHEVY COE
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I'd guess 1-1/16" but that's just a guess, take an assortment.
Why bother or have you measured? It'll fit as is on any rollback truck I've seen.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
That bolt pattern is 5 on 8" Modern, 22.5 wheels will fit on there, if one doesn't need to be original, those wheels are hard to find.

Look on '50's Dodge, IHC, etc.

Last edited by EdPruss; 10/10/2012 12:24 PM.

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 15
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 15
Well,I finally got the truck home this evening,more like dark thirty.I will take a better look at the rear end now that it's here.I did notice while the truck was on the roll back the removable plate on the back of the rear end read GMC.I'll know more tomorrow. smile

Last edited by olehillbilly; 10/19/2012 9:03 PM.

1979 Jeep CJ7
1946 CHEVY COE

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0