The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hotrod Lincoln, dt235sd, klhansen), 111 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,679
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#882458 09/13/2012 9:12 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
There has to be a easier way to reinstall a heavy 16" radial tire and wheel than dead lift while squating or sittin' on your butt. My old back doesn't like it. Any suggestions out there?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
I use a 15 year old discontinued Harbor Freight Roller Seat on the paved driveway and in my garages. I now also have the bottom seat-portion of an office chair that has the back removed (it broke) and it has strong rollers. This allows a friend to work with me and both of us do not need to bend over, kneel, crawl, or sit on the ground on our butts.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
when removing wheels i only jack up the truck enough to get the wheel to spin. walk the wheel off in a rocking side to side motion. when i put them back on i use a long flat pry bar under the tire to use for lifting leverage to walk them back on. i didnt learn much in school but i remembered the class on the use of lever, beams and fulcrums and have learned to use them to my advantage. it does help to have help when doing this. i never do cry help always shows up after the lug nuts are tight. if you think the 16"s are tough wait until you get to the 20" duallys grin

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,837
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,837
Ditto on that procedure- - - -I learned it while running a 24-hour road service for Diesel trucks. Another trick is a "grease plate", a piece of plywood or sheet metal with something slippery on it to help slide the tire on and off the studs. If you don't like grease stains on your shop floor, spray-on silicone lube does the job very well, and doesn't leave messy stains. Just jack the axle up enough to take the weight off the wheel, and slide the rim on and off the studs. It also helps to loosen the lug nuts before the vehicle is jacked up.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
I'm not a geezer at 35 but I've been doing it this way since I was 14 or so. I sit the ground with the wheel on my feet. I'm able to lean it back on my shins if needed and lift it an inch or so with my toes/feet. Makes it easier to position it with my hands. I simply scoot up, lift and tip it forward. Once the top stud is in, I slide my feet out and drop it on the others. No broken back.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I was taught to use the sliding method with greased cardboard, working on trucks when I was a teenager. Now I just struggle with my 16" wheels without any aids. Someday I will wise up a bit!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 252
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 252
Maybe 40 years ago I could have lifted the wheel up but, those days are long gone.
Now I use a block of wood and a 40" wrecking bar as a lever and it still takes some doing.
This is my first AD and I can't believe how heavy EVERYTHING is!!


1951 Chevy 3100 5-Window
"Howard"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 56
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 56
the method they showed me when i started working on heavy equipment is to use a flat blade shovel. get it under the tire and lift it up and slide the wheel on to the lugs.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/11977495@N06/sets/
1952 COE
1952 3100
1953 3100
1950 6400
1951 Suburban
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
Hey thanks guys, these are all great ideas. I will probably try them all eventually. Steve

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 283
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 283
And thanks for the post Movin on! I'm in the old geezer category and I just finished an e-brake replacement on the right side on my 56 Cameo, now have to do the left side and been dreading lifting that heavy heavy wheel. Your post gave me some great ideas - I had thought of using my old hand cart (dolly) -- just slide the tongue under the wheel , but these other ideas are great too.

Dale

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
Another great idea! Boy, they just keep comin'. I use my old dolly all the time and never thought of this. Thanks Dale. Good lookin' Cameo. Don't see too many of those. Steve

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 457
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 457
Lots of good tips here. Even if you're young, you don't need to hurt your back! My hernia and I thank everyone for the ideas. smile


1940 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup "KC"
A day without sunshine is like, well, ..... dark!
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893

The semi-truck & ton truck fleet guys have various tools that are for slipping under the tire and then you lift it up onto the studs.

I'm not sure what they are called tho'. Stop by a tire place that does big truck tires and ask around maybe?

-W

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
I think the question is about 16" wheel/tire on a 3100 panel? This is not a negative comment - all the advice above is very helpful.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0