The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Gdads51, TUTS 59, SmalltownTRKGuy, Otto Skorzeny, 52Carl, Wayne67vert, 1 invisible), 99 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,488
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#878362 08/28/2012 9:32 AM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 42
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 42
1948 1.5 T 161" wheelbase. I have the rear drive shaft off the truck, it has needle bearings in the rear u-joint.

I was able to remove the shaft because the connection to the rear end had the two typical u bolt connections. The 2 other ends are in the rear yoke on the drive shaft. It doesn't come apart. I removed the spring clips from the ends but can't figure out how to remove from the yoke. On a typical joint I would drive them out with a drift/punch but these joints have a cap on the inside of the yoke and nowhere for the cap to go if I start hammering on one side.

So, that is the question, plus, where can I get the new joint? for a 1.5 ton? local FLAPS?

I searched the archives without a definitive solution, looking to you guys for help. Thanks, Motoswiz


1948 Chevrolet 1.5-Ton Dually
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Motoswiz
North Florida
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
You need to hammer them back and forth from side to side until you loosen up the caps enough to work them out. Sometimes these things are stubborn. A piece of pipe or an old socket that just fits works really good as a driver. Use lots of lubricant and take your time. All that old rust, dirt and grease makes them a b*tch sometimes.

You should be able to get them at your FLAPS. Try Precision 331, it seems to be a fairly common one. I don't know what it crosses into for other brands.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
It is most likely a Spicer 1350 series joint


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 42
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 42
thanks for the reply RN...

I thought that was the way but wanted to ask to be sure i didn't mess up something that I couldn't get easily...we all know how that goes...
funny how one thing leads to another...
I finally got time to put on the new brake hoses after redoing all the "in the wheel parts" last year...decided to replace the rear hard lines, while off, clean the rear-end...removed the rear drive shaft to make it easier to clean back there, decided the u joint needed replacing, and the list goes on...hahaha

thanks again, Motoswiz


1948 Chevrolet 1.5-Ton Dually
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Motoswiz
North Florida
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 42
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 42
Update: back and forth with PB and ATF got it loose. Off to NAPA to see if they can get me a replacement. thanks to all...

MS


1948 Chevrolet 1.5-Ton Dually
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Motoswiz
North Florida

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0