The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (KEVINSKI, Dennys28), 96 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 39
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 39
How difficult is it to remove the original engine from a '48 Chevy COE? I'm certain the grill, radiator and fenders will have to come off. Anything else I should know? Will likely replace the original engine with a 235hp stovebolt engine

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
I personally think it would be best to unbolt the head and slide it out the front. That should give you clearance to get the engine hoist in and raise it to pull the engine out. I don't think you'll have the clearance without pulling the head.

I don't look forward to it on mine!

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 173
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 173
I believe "back in the day" they had a special tool to remove the engine out through the front. If I remember what I read correctly, you didn't have to remove the fenders, just grill, radiator etc. Of course finding said tool would be something like impossible. Spanky would be the man to ask about this.
Scott


1947, 1950, & 1952 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
1952 GMC 450 series Cab Over Engine
1946 Chevrolet 2 Ton
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
Ha. Reminds me of "back in my day" when without any special tools, I used a 55 gallon drum and a long 4X4 to fulcrum a 300ci 6 cyl. out of a Ford van. I buddy had to push the body back and position our wood cable spool aka engine table under the suspended engine. Me, I just sat on the end of the 4x4 and watched! We did the same method to put the engine back after the rebuild. This time, the buddy did the watching.
I just smile now that I have some nice tools, suitable for the jobs at hand. RIP, JC!
Good luck with your project!
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
I have an original set of pictures on servicing the engine in cabover trucks (converted from a 1939 filmstrip) I will look through them and post some if you are interested. I have over 300 original Chevrolet films (1930's - 1960's) I am converting to jpegs for sale soon.

_________________________


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0