The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Robert Crandall, J Lucas, 1955 1 Series, Otto Skorzeny), 99 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,465
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 229
M
mo
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 229
thinkin about putting an x-member in place of center crossmember. something like this. this would give me an opportunity to put a drive shaft loop in and i would have four supports to the bottom rail instead of the rusted out two that were there. any opinions or ideas would be great. thanks MO


MO's 1951 chevy 3100 resto mod project
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Mo, I'm not the expert but I see no harm done. compared to the orignal chassis wouldn't the X member make it sturdier?
Hey, it accomplishes what you need I think its a good idea. Besides, someone has to be the first to try new things!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Chevy frames in the 30's had an XK in the middle of the frame and the torque tube went right through the middle, just like a drive shaft loop.

I see no harm in doing it, but I'm not a chassis engineer either.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 229
M
mo
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 229
i think i will just build a new k member with driveshaft loop incorporated. then i will tie that to the bottom rail somehow. might have to build a mockup out of wood for this one first. to see if it will work. cant wait for some more spending money as i am broke. later mo


MO's 1951 chevy 3100 resto mod project

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0