The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (tclederman, Steelonsteel, klhansen, ndkid275, Nick in Manitou, 1 invisible), 74 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,580
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#825872 02/13/2012 8:36 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 11
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 11
Hey, everyone! My name is Josh and I am a high school Senior located in the deep southern state of South Carolina! Recently, I purchased a 1961 Chevrolet Apache 10 Longbed Stepside. I joined the forum because I'm sure I will need some help along and along so I can get it roadworthy for College! It has 38,000 original miles, 235 straight six, originally painted GM color 704 (Baltic Blue), and has a 3 on the tree transmission. I have already created a Blog where I have posted general information about the truck. You can find that blog at www.bluestepside.blogspot.com . Thanks for letting me join the forums and I'll look forward to getting to know everyone!



Sincerely,


Josh

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Online: Content
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Hi Josh, welcome. We especially like young people to join our hobby, to keep these trucks going for many more years. Your truck looks awesome. Be sure to browse our whole site, there's even a section just for 60-66 trucks like yours. I'm from Canada but others are from your area, I'm sure you'll meet them soon. Good luck with the truck and with college too.

Leo

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Welcome to the Stovebolt,Josh and congrats on your senior year.
Quite a blog you have going there and what appears to be a pretty well kept truck you have found. I think it will serve you well. Lots of nice folks here and lots of knowledge when you need it.

....AND I live in the Upstate myself. There are a good many bolters in our area. I'm just across Intertate from Spartanburg.

You also now belong to the SOUTHERN STOVEBOLTERS and we have reunion planned for April 28th...right here at my house. If you do not want your town/email public here, just drop me a PM or my email addy is in my profile. I'll send you the latest Southern Stovebolt notice!! Glad to have you aboard.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 11
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 11
Thanks for the invite, but I think I'd rather come when my truck is driving rather than now in my 98' Altima grin. I think some tires, a windshield, and a slave cylinder will have me on the road, though! So not too far in the future and I'll be driving it! Does anyone know where the best place to get a windshield is? Safelite seems to be the best right now. They say they will install and deliver it for $300. What about my slave cylinder? Should I rebuild it or replace it? Classicparts.com and rockauto.com seem to be the best parts places (LMC is just too expensive). Do any of y'all know of better online parts suppliers?

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 111
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 111
Hello from Indiana It's the same truck that my brother restored Glad to have you


Ken


1946 Chevrolet 2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix of the '46 on Photobucket

1954 Chev 1/2-ton
3 Farmalls
4 John Deeres
1 Oliver
1955 DeSoto Fireflite

I'm pullin for ya. We're all in this together -- Red Green
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Josh, as you learn your way around in the site here you'll find that its better to ask questions in the most appropiate forum for the best results. Not everyone visits here in the Welcome Center so folks miss out on the knowledge of a lot of folks. For example your question may best be answered in the General Truck talk forum or probably the Driveline forum. If by chance you get a question in the wrong forum a moderator will sometimes move it for you. We want to help you all we can.

As for parts I think you can find most of what your talking about at your local FLAPS. (Friendly Local Parts Store) Examples would be Advance Auto,Auto Zone,NAPA. If not in stock they can usually get the stuff overnight and best of all is there is NO shipping charges.
You may also want to check out the Links section here at the Bolt. A couple vendors help support the Stovebolt site and even offer a discount if you make a donation to the Bolt.

AS always, check with several vendors before making the buy. You can find some buys but you have to check'em out.
Hope this helps in some way.

You may want to just rebuild the slave unit you have since the truck is in pretty good shape. If so, and you can't find it locally you can get a kit here http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/cart/index.asp?sdes=clutch slave for about $20 bucks and JimCarter usually only charges actual shipping.

Last edited by Achipmunk; 02/13/2012 10:33 PM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 397
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 397
Welcome to Stovebolt, Josh!! It's great to hear that another young man like me (ha, I'm 64) is interested in saving another piece of America's past! Looks like you've found a 51 year old Stovebolt that is in pretty good shape. Seems like most all the parts are in tact and the rust issues are minimal plus low mileage! Good find!
I enjoyed your Blog along with your enthusiasum. Looks like you've mapped out a pretty good plan about what you want your truck to look like. You will find plenty of help here at the Stovebolt for just about any problem you run into. Just ask!! There are so many talented and experienced people on this forum. Someone, somewhere here will lead you in finding an answer to what problem you may be trying to figure out.
Just an early word of caution. Be very thrifty during your restoration process. Some parts and be a bit pricey, so make sure you always search for the best deal before shucking out what could be a lot of dough.
Achipmunk mentioned to you the Southern Stovebolt gathering coming up this spring. Try and swing by even if you don't have your truck running. You'll meet alot of other people who also love these historic trucks!
Congratulations and good luck!


"Lucille" ..... Proud Member of the "Southern Stovebolts"

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Hi Josh,welcome from Scotland,I see you've already met some of your SC neighbours!
Like the guys say,it's always great to see the young 'uns getting involved in our obsession!
Good luck with your new 'toy' and of course keep us posted of your progress.
Jock thumbs_up


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
Welcome Josh,

Glad to see a young man getting intot he truck. You want a good read try this one on my truck a 1960 GMC.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=4665372#post4665372

Jake Groby


1960 GMC 305A V-6 Gallery Page
Remember, the government cannot give --anything to anyone --that they have not first taken away from someone else.
BUY AMERICAN http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/index.html
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 115
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 115
Welcome Josh, great story and good luck with your truck. Lots of knowledge around this site and folks are always ready to help


Kenny Martin
Talladega, Ala

Second place is the first loser - Ricky Bobby

1956 Chevy 1/2 Ton
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 397
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 397
Kenny3100,
On Photobucket you need to make sure "your photos" are rotated correctly. It just helps all of us trying to understand your story.
You've got a great truck!!


"Lucille" ..... Proud Member of the "Southern Stovebolts"

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 292
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 292
Welcome to the Bolt from Gray Court SC.

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
Welcome!! Like "Lucille" mentioned, It's not only fun to attend these meets,but you may meet someone living in your area,who may have,(or know who does),parts for your truck. Enjoy!!


Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0