The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (WICruiser, 2 invisible), 142 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 323
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 323
Hay All. Who knows if the buckets and stands are the same for 37 and 38 trucks? I'm pretty sure 39 is different.Checking parts suppliers I get different answers.And were the stands prone to break do to vibration?
Thanks




These old bolts are in my blood. Hard thing is focusing on just one.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton panel
1953 GMC 2 ton. future car hauler

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
On the cars the buckets are similar if not identical but the stands are different. In '37 they were a separate item while in '38 they were part of the core support. I don't really know if that applies to trucks though. Someone who can give you a definitive answer will be along before long.

For what it's worth this site sells fiberglass reproduction parts and shows that 36-40 were two piece similar to the '37 car. Scroll down almost to the bottom. If those are faithful reproductions it seems that the '37 and '38 would be the same..


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 90
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 90
The master parts book I have lists different headlight brackets (stands) for 1937 and 1938. The headlight assemblies have the same part numbers listed for 1936-39.


1959 Chevrolet 3800 Pickup
1937 Chevrolet GC Panel
Can you still call it a barn find if it's your barn?
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 49
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 49
I think the 38 are bigger,longer and have a sharper point at the back of the bracket.I may be wrong as i'm learning this stuff myself.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
I bought new stands for my '38 on Ebay.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 277
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 277
I believe that 37-39 bucketts are the same. 40 bucketts look the same but are different to accomodate the sealed beams that were new that year.

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 323
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 323
Wayne67vert the stands you bought on E Bay were they new or used? I saw some on E Bay just last week that a guy was making himself.Looked good But I don't have any to compare them to.Some of the venders say 37-38 are the same but then they sell different gaskets for each year. ohwell




These old bolts are in my blood. Hard thing is focusing on just one.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton panel
1953 GMC 2 ton. future car hauler

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
goneagain, those are the ones I bought. They match the ones that came off my truck. I have one complete stand and one partial stand. The new ones have more metal in the area that is prone to breakage.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 323
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 323
Thanks Wayne I think I will contact that vender.




These old bolts are in my blood. Hard thing is focusing on just one.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton panel
1953 GMC 2 ton. future car hauler

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
I used stands off a '39 on my '37. I was going off some advise I received on this site about the '37-'38 stands cracking over time. In all the years I have had the truck out, no one has ever noticed!

Joe

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
37 and 38 were different. At the time I couldn't find ones for 38 so used 37. Now I need replacement buckets.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
My story... the 37 pickup I have originally had a set on it that I THOUGHT was original. Well, I later bought a 37 parts pickup from the original owners son after the truck had sat in the woods for some 30-40 years and I believe it was totally original. Well, the headlight stands on it was different from the ones on my 37 when I bought it.
Research says the ones on my first 37 were actually 38's and they ARE different from the ones off the truck I know to be original.

I once was going to sell the set I have as a 37, thinking they were, but just about everyone says they are 38. yes, they are longer than the 37's..... thats "my" story.

and yes, they do crack. Mostly the driver side. I filed a little ridge in both of the driver sides that I had, put in some JBWeld and the one on my pickup has held up well since.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 323
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 323
Good old JBWeld.
The differences of these stands must be small. I would like to see pictures of each.




These old bolts are in my blood. Hard thing is focusing on just one.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton panel
1953 GMC 2 ton. future car hauler

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
The '38 cars had the stand built into the core support. I wonder if a '37 stand would work on a '38 truck?? I often see '37 stands on ebay.

Last edited by cletis; 08/03/2013 12:35 PM. Reason: Deleted response to deleted want ad.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 13
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 13
Bow Tie bits sell Reproduction 38 stands that look pretty good.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Tiny, I have a 38 stand and if I remember correctly there is a little difference in the holes, center to center, where it mounts. Not sure.... but I think you can get them to work.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
'38 stands are longer, I had to drill new holes to mount them to my '37.

Joe


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0