The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (3800GUY, Bill Hanlon, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 93 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 33
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 33
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

I grew up in a home that was all about drag and stock car racing. My uncle who raised me let me kick around the garage while he spent years and years restoring a '39 Chevy Sedan and continually tearing down motors after Saturday's race. For a long time, I just wasn't interested in what the Old Man was doing.

But I see now that the apple doesn't fall that far from the tree. It started out with me wanting to restore a '39 Chevy truck he has rusting away in the backyard. Seeing that this was much too big a project for inexperienced me, my eye started getting drawn to Chevy trucks from the early 60's.

I found Ole Scrumpy on Craigslist on January 20th, 2012 for $1,500 in Eugene, Oregon. I needed a daily driver and this truck was it! I originally wanted a '62, but read that the parts were harder to come by and more expensive. When I went to check out the truck, it started like a champ. A little rust here and there ... but that's to be expected. A decent body (finding more bondo by the day), a V8 (once it stops raining for a minute I'll get in there to check the numbers on the engine and tranny), and a decent manifold and carb.

My wife immediately named the truck Ole Scrumpy. Scrumpy is a hard apple cider, typically homemade in small batches. She said the truck was the color of a withered apple and besides, the name is a combo of scrappy and grumpy ... which actually fits its personality perfectly.

I've never restored a car before ... in fact, I've forgotten just about everything I learned as a kid in the garage. What I do know is that transforming Scrumpy into a worthy street-machine is going to be a challenge and a heck of a lot of fun.

Last edited by J Lucas; 08/22/2012 11:49 PM.

'64 C10 1/2 ton fleetside
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
....like a riding a bicycle. You never forget how and the mechanics will come back to you once you get started.

I'm sure ole scrumpy will be just fine. He's in good hands now!!
Heck, even the wife seems to like him and thats a PLUS.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Nice find and a good deal too! I wish mine was a driver. One day it will be.

There are plenty of nice folks on this forum that want to help you, so take on one small thing at a time and you'll have a great time.

I'm having a blast and I haven't even driven mine yet.

Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 33
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 33
Yeah ... I'm addicted to this website and the folks here are really helpful.

My wife has two conditions for being good with all this: 1. I must install seat belts ASAP. She won't ride in it until I do and I still reach for it when I get in; 2. we go out on at least one date each week. Sounds like a good trade to me. Plus, I'm really connecting with my uncle in all this. Good all the way around.

I've got what I think is a choke issue causing the rpms to hang at 2,000 - 2,500 and makes the engine pop. Though about 25% of the time it purrs like a dream at 800 (but eventually goes back up to 2,000 after a stop light or two). That's this weekend's project.

Thanks for the support guys.



'64 C10 1/2 ton fleetside
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 33
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 33
Achipmunk, that is a super sweet '37!


'64 C10 1/2 ton fleetside
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
Welcome to the Bolt! Looks like you got a nice truck, and as Alvin mentioned, always nice to have the wife on your side! The idea of going on one date a week is never a bad idea. Keep that habit going, and lots of things will go well for you, not just the truck!


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Welcome. Sounds like you have the right temperament for this kind of work/play. Seat belts also were a restriction in my house. They went in easily once you get past drilling holes in the cab.
Wooeroo has developed a good 60-66 reference document.
http://sites.google.com/site/woogeroo/Home/19601966ctis/info6066
Sure you have found the 60-66 forum. Lots to do in there.
Keeps us up to date.
Hambone


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban

Moderated by  J Lucas 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0