The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Shade Baby, 1955 1 Series, 55shaker, Wally / Montana), 119 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,448
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#815412 01/11/2012 2:01 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 50
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 50
Anybody got any pics on how you installed them.

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 159
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 159
I just made some mounting frames with 1" square tubing and welded that to the floor. That picture is out of my '39 but I'll do something similar in my '50.

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt138/capedcat/wheel%20hub%20spacers/IMG_0332.jpg

Astro Van bucket seats have flat frames on the bottom and you can bolt them right to the floor. Those are the only other buckets I've installed.

Craig


It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility in occupation which brings happiness. - Thomas Jefferson

CK
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
On my 57, I also used 1" square tubing to make a ladder-like sub-frame. The bottom of the sub-frame was drilled to bolt to the floor using the existing mounts/holes. On the top of the sub-frame I welded mounting pads that served to mount the buckets and provide the exact height I wanted.

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
This mine in my 54/3100 basically a c shape steel with brackets bolted to the top and the bottom screwed too the floor.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
chevyoldsmoyota, and WE b OLD, It appears that you took the seat riser out of your vehicles. If you did why did you not want to use the riser?
Just curious. I'm going through this Soooon and curious minds want to know. Thanks for any help.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
Just because. grin


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 159
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 159
Two reasons.: I wanted a clean slate to work with and I thought I would get some storage under the seat. Not really sure if I got any usable storage though because the new seat frame blocks access. It is kind of nice to have the ability to weld anywhere without having to try to figure out how to make the original seat riser work with the new seats.

Craig


It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility in occupation which brings happiness. - Thomas Jefferson

CK
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 62
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 62
I'm working on a 51 1/2 ton and as I'm a big guy with a big gut I'm looking to make as much room as I can in the cab. If I put in buckets and remove the seat riser and remove the gas tank do you think it would give me a few more inches of breathing room?


Dallas Huybregts
Sherwood Park, Alberta

1951 Chevrolet 1300

email
Photobucket
flickr
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
...and use a tilt steering wheel.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 62
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by Achipmunk
...and use a tilt steering wheel.

Is there a tilt kit available somewhere?


Dallas Huybregts
Sherwood Park, Alberta

1951 Chevrolet 1300

email
Photobucket
flickr
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
well, there are lots of different vendors selling till columns but they are usually pricey.
I understand that a column out of an older model Chevy Van has a tilt column plus you still use your dash switch because the chevy van switch was NOT in the column.
I also understand that the column length is right length to....something like 30/31 inches.

I have NOT done this but if my next project is an AD pickup then thats what I'm going to aim for.
Hopefully someone else can straighten us both out smile


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 355
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 355
in my 59 and yes i know it was different than the ad but i used the seat riser froma chevy astro van and the seats from a pontiac sunfire the two made seats at the percect hight for me and i am 6'2 that and you keep the stock ajustability


1937 1/2 ton
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
I just finished mine. I took seat mounts out of a Ford (pardon me) Econoline ... a buddy of mine cut them down to change the angle and height, welded them back together (quite a project!) and bolted them to the floor.

I just did this a few days ago and will be posting pics here, soon:
http://www.AlanHorvath.com/54chevy/new_seats_install.php

The seats will be coming back out again, as soon as the weather warms up (like in March I hope), and then I'll be stripping the interior floor out, putting FatMat and new carpet down and then the seats will go back in.

I'll be posting photo and/or video tutorials every step of the way at the link above.


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0