The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Buckeye998, WICruiser), 125 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#816809 01/16/2012 6:23 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
I have my rocker arm assembly apart and am cleaning the sludge out of it. The upper side of the head has a lot of sludge sitting in it and I've been able to mop some of it out with rags but I was wondering if there was something I could spray it with to help loosen it up. I know whatever I use will wind up in the crankcase but I will change the oil. A few weeks ago I ran a 50/50 mixture of oil and automatic transmission fluid through it to clean it but there is still this stuff sitting where the rocker arm assembly goes.


1956 Chevy 3200
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Joe, I've used spray can of brake cleaner and a brass brush with success. It'll take your breath away, so use good ventilation.


Drew
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Soak them in a bucket of diesel or another cleaner. It will soften up the crud and you'll have to remove the stuff with a brush.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
I wound up using Gunk to loosen up the sludge. I also soaked the rocker arm assembly in gasoline and cleaned the parts with a wire brush. Messy job and a lot of cleaning up but it looks much better. Here is a picture of the gummed-up rockers:

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/bohon/56%20Chevy%20truck/Rockercleaning002.jpg[/IMG]

Here is the engine after cleaning:

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/bohon/56%20Chevy%20truck/Rockercleaning010.jpg[/IMG]


1956 Chevy 3200
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
i remember doing that on my 228 when it was in my 40. i also did the lifter galley while i had it open with the pan off. the rockers assembly looks good along with the pipe. did you remove the plugs on the end of the pipe and clean that out? lots of gunk and sludge in there. i cleaned like i was cleaning a rifle.

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
If you mean the hollow rocker shaft, yeah. I have it soaking in gasoline at the moment. It had a lot of crud inside it and I didn't have a wire brush to run through it so I'm letting it soak. Those rifle cleaning kits a very useful for this kind of job.


1956 Chevy 3200

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0