Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,137 Posts1,056,437 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 303 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2010 Posts: 303 | I was thinking about replacing the wiring harness on my 50 3100 truck. The engine and tranny have been replaced with a 400 sb and auto trans. The steering column has also been changed out to a GM style with tilt, blinkers and shifter on the column. I have been looking at some of the universal 20 ciruit wiring harnesses and was wondering which one to buy that is good but doesn't cost 400 bucks. Has anyone replaced thier wiring harness with a universal harness and if so what type of harness kit did you use? Thanks in advance for any advice and opinions. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 201 | Not sure I'd buy a harness with 20 circuits, labeled wires, proper temp resistant vinyl insulation, complete set of connectors and quick disconnect plugs, with instructions, for less than $400.
I used American Autowire. Certainly not the priciest, not the cheapest either. Worked extremely well for me, roughly $450.
'69 1/2T stepside, Sea Foam Green, 250 L6 w/ 3 on the tree, not an option on it, in the family since new.
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | I used a Hot Rod Wires 12 circuit in my '56. I am extremely happy with it and have purchased another for a '54 GMC pickup I'm working on. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 355 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 355 | if you look in speedways catalog you can find 12s for around 149.oo
1937 1/2 ton
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 | Speedway corrected the price in the latest catalog so the 12 circuit #910-64017 is now 129.99 and the 20 circuit #910-64027 is 149.99. Used them several times with just as good a result as with the pricey ones.
Evan
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | I used American Autowire because they give many extra parts and will accomodate many engines, tranny, columns and accessories. they are not cheap however. But a quality harness system with all quality crimp-ons and connectors, bulb socket pins, under dash map lights, door to dome switches, all stock fitting hook ups to all lights and accessories.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 71 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 71 | Gotta agree with American Autowire....just finished re-wiring my 51 1/2t and was impressed with their product! | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 355 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 355 | lol thanks coilover  since i just got my 37 and don't really care for the fabric covered BS and i want fuses lol a lower price on those is always welcome  far as the pricey stuff i like to learn as i do new things pricey ones tend to remove any learning from the equation
1937 1/2 ton
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | None of the products mentioned use fabric covered, they all use automotive grade high temp insulation. Price has nothing to do with learning, they all have instructions and color coding. The price has to do with the extras, completeness, number of circuits, accomodation for various aftermarket components, switches, relays,steering column connectors,etc., Quality of the fuse "box" and quality of connectors and crimp-on devices. Many people are satisfied with the lower priced depending on the vehicle, nothing wrong with that. Others need/want the added value/parts that you sometimes realize you need and can't find later on. I know that American Autowire is the best, I don't know who is the cheapest. You get what you pay for. There is a difference between cheapest and least expensive value. On the cheap end I have purchased a fuse box from a 68-87 chevy truck and purchased wire and terminals and had a schematic and ..gotter done for maybe $75 or less! There is not much wiring in an old truck with no options no extras, no aftermarket add ons. It's not that hard IF you can reuse the old stuff. You have to take apart all your light sockets, clean and de-solder if necessary, etc.
Last edited by bartamos; 12/14/2011 7:32 PM.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | This 'Black Box' panel from Enos Custome Components is the best kept secret around and inexpensive. I put one of these in my 47 coupe and man it's quality and Enos will help with any questions etc. http://www.enoscustom.com/blackbox.html | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 303 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2010 Posts: 303 | I used a Hot Rod Wires 12 circuit in my '56. I am extremely happy with it and have purchased another for a '54 GMC pickup I'm working on. Thank you all for the great advice on a wiring harness. I think I'm going with the 12 circuit from hot rod wires. I also like the fact that it is made in the U.S.A. and that the wires are 8 guage. The american Auto wire looks good to but a little to pricey for my budget. I have been looking on the net and the most expensive kit I found was from Painless Wiring. The kits look well made but are very expensive. My 50 truck project is going to just be a daily driver so I really don't need show quality stuff on it. I have added a link to some pics of my project. I have done everything myself. from the exhaust install to the paint. It ain't perfect, and still has a way to go. But I'm happy with it so far. http://rides.webshots.com/album/581886710OMlQTD
Last edited by tracern1; 12/15/2011 3:19 AM.
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | I think you'll be happy with it. There is plenty of length to the wires, it is GM color coded, headlight wires are larger than stock so no relay needed for halogens. It comes with a plug for your tilt steering column.
Do it right and solder your connections and cover with shrink tubing. | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 303 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2010 Posts: 303 | thanks for the heads up Cletis. I used to work in a bus building plant years ago and installing the wiring hrness in the engine compartment is what I did there. I have plenty of shrink tubing and solder and loom glue. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 149 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 149 | i recieved my new harness from speedwaythis afternoon.i am impressed.ever wire is labeled,has a set of many fuses&instructions.the altenator instructions has me bit confused,but i think i will figure it out. | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 303 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2010 Posts: 303 | i recieved my new harness from speedwaythis afternoon.i am impressed.ever wire is labeled,has a set of many fuses&instructions.the altenator instructions has me bit confused,but i think i will figure it out. I have picked up a few things from Speedway Motors. Just give them a call they will help you out. Those fellas at speedway aren't the best at public relations. But if you ask them the right questions they will give you a answer. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | ...I've only recently had any dealing with Speedway but I find they have quite a bit of things to choose from and last week they went out of their way to make sure I got the answer to a question to them. I've been impressed with the last few times I've ordered from Speedway and their shipping charges, so far, has been good. I'll give them more of my business when I can. | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 303 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2010 Posts: 303 | Yes they are pretty good Alvin, I have only spent around a $1000 with them but the stuff I got from them was always good quality, and fast shipping. I have picked up a lot of my custom sei ups from CPP a little over $2000 or so from them. I don't think they sell wire harnesses though. But there is a sales rep there by the name of Aron, and he really knows his stuff. And if they don't have the parts your looking for he will send you in the right dircetion. Aron has really went above and beyond when it came to helping me out. This is kind of off subject of wiring harnesses but I called him a few weeks ago looking for some hard to find brake parts for my rear brakes he didn't have them so he gave me a number to so folks he knew of they are called JS Gear Co.. They fixed me up and didn't charge me a arm and leg for the parts,(around $25 with shipping). Aron really saved my butt on that one.
Last edited by tracern1; 12/17/2011 3:44 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 99 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 99 | Absolutely impressed with classic parts harness for my 53 with generator. Got it for $135.00 - no way in heck I would spend $400+ for the same setup anywhere else. Comes with turn signal flasher extensions, flasher receptacles and even optional wiring for key start. High quality wiring, terminations and each wire numbered. Couldn't ask for more. | | |
| |