The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Opelika Tom, 2 invisible), 95 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
I guess this is sort of a poll.

I probably change the gear oil in the tranny and rear end every 5 years or so. What do you guys do?

Kurt

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 72
E
New Guy
New Guy
E Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 72
You change your gear oil?? wink

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
I'm a total nerd. I do it spring and fall. I drive in alot of rain, oil is cheap by the pail, and when you have a pail, you can use a pail pump. It makes it no chore, and kind of fun to fill it back up. Before I had a pump, I used to heat the oil up for the suction gun, as I had no garage either. That stuff is thick when its freezing!



Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
Chris - how much rain do you get in the trans and differential?? big_eek
I wouldn't be surprised if the oil in the trans and rear of my 58 was still the factory stuff grin

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I would change the gear oil as a new owner of a truck or while rebuilding it. Another reason is to inspect what comes out for any particles.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
I never change it.

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Bill, you're right! I'm sure I change it too often, but if I don't, how can I justify the $43 I spent on the bucket pump? I'm just practising for my TT, I have get my strength up 'cause I'll be pumping 460wt oil in it.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 252
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 252
I only change it if I am in there for some reason, other than that I just check the level.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
I think the guys pretty much touched all the bases Kurt. But what the heck, I'll throw in my two
pennies worth just in case something was missed.

Change it if the truck is new to you as mentioned, just to see of there are any teeth in the
bottom.
Change it if you think it may have been in a flood or water over the running boards, they
can pick up water thru the vent or bearings.
Change it if you think it might not have the appropriate weight gear oil in them for the
weather ahead an plan on driving a lot, as Chris mentioned.

The main reason for changing the oil in the engine is contamination from the combustion
process. If the engine simply pumped air like a compressor then you would rarely need to
change oil, simply keep it topped off. The trans and rear axle are not exposed to
combustibles to contaminate them so they theoretically could go their entire life without
being changed.

However, even the theoretical non-firing engine will wear. Pistons, piston rings,
cylinder walls, bearings, cranks, cam & lifters all wear out. And with gear boxes and rear
axles the gears, bearings, bushings, syncros, shifting forks all wear out eventually also. What
wears off has to go somewhere so that alone would give reason to changing the fluids.
And this is the prime reason that the factory recommends changing the gear oil at certain
specified intervals.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 12/02/2011 2:39 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
Change if new to you and inspect gears and bearings.

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
Wow,

Denny, Lots of opinions.

Main reason I change mine is to remove any water due to the possibility of condensation, and I figure the oil will break down eventually and loose its lubricating properties, and finally, if something is coming apart inside, I'd like to know about it, so I always take a look at the drainings and run a magnet through it.

Kurt

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Ken or Jerry should have more info on this but it’s my understanding that the biggest
enemy to oil longevity next to contamination, is heat.

Consider that there is a light film of oil present on the cylinder walls and on the piston at
all times. So every time the cylinder fires it burns off a tiny bit of oil the ash is eventually
washed back into the main pool of oil.
In petroleum oils with lower flash points the smaller molecules in the oil vaporize and
burn off more rapidly than the larger ones. The larger oil molecules do not flow as easily
and tend to coat the surface restricting the oil flow which would normally carry away
some of the heat thus adding to the heat problem. I also recall hearing that the pour point
depressant additives in multi-grade oils that keep the waxes from solidifying are used up
quickly, which also contribute to oil thickening up. So does petroleum oil break down
when subject to high heat in an infernal compression engine, sure does.

The synthetics stand up to high heat much better because they are compounded to have
that same size molecule so even as some of the oil still burns away it remains consistent
in its flow characteristics. Contamination heads up the list of reasons to change synthetic
rather than compound breakdown and its not unusual to see recommended oil changes in
the neighborhood of 10,000 miles using synthetic oils and a good filter.

And again, the transmission and rear axle is not subject to high heat like we see in the
engine so there is very little break down in the oil over time.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 12/02/2011 8:58 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I thought of another reason to change it. This would be to stop worrying about it. I am not joking. Sometimes it is good just to have peace of mind about something like this.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
There must be water in gear oil. I have a TF centre section sitting in half a pail of gear oil and the part that is submerged has rust whereas the exposed does not. Weird or what?


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Oil is lighter that water so it's possible that you some how got water in the bucket and any part of the centere section that's at the bottom could get rusty. How long has the bucket been sitting? Where in the barn did you have it sitting? Where did the oil come from, it fresh of drained?

DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
The owner's manual on my 09 F150 says that rear gear oil never needs replaced. Whereas on my 02 Dodge, I believe it stated 50,000 or so. Personally, I would only change it If I suspected a problem. I know there's trucks out there with hundreds of thousands of miles, that have never been changed.


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 17
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 17
according to chevy... the new trucks are supposed to have all lubes changed ... i mean front and aback diffs, and transferr cases ... the new synthetic fluids do WEAR out..... good to use . overkill on older trucks ....my 2008 duramax just got changed... like 6 qts @ $14. ea... gm fluid is $35........progress???jm2cw..kev

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 17
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 17
spoda change the brake fluid also....absorbs water... rusts the system......kev

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
I take the approach that I don't know what is in there until I look. Someone mentioned that they change it if the vehicle is new to them. That is what I do so I know that the rear end most likely won't be a problem for me or the next person. I "assume" that the rear end grease has been in the rear end since it was new. So 50-60 year old used oil needs to be changed. I do it with out hesitation. I don't run synthetics in my old trucks either. I'm not saying synthetics are bad. Just saying I don't go through the expense of synthetics for my old trucks.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0