The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (fonz8261, Gdads51, 2-Ton), 83 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,143
Posts1,056,495
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#799252 11/19/2011 10:30 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 21
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 21
Trying to get 5.43 gears for this and the parts guy on the phone wants to know if it's Eaton or GM.
https://picasaweb.google.com/106959952217522043008/20111119

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
It is an Eaton. There are no aftermarket gears available for them. If it's from a 1 ton, it's a 5.13. 3/4 ton are mostly 4.56, though some did have 5.13s and there was a 4.10 option for the very late ('68-'72) version.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 21
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 21
It's a 1 1/2 ton.

Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 21
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 21
It has 6.11 in it now.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I stand corrected. I still beleive it's an Eaton, though. There should be a stamped ID marking on the front face of the 3rd member, usually on the right side, though it could be on the top of the snout. Might be able to tell for sure with the codes.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 21
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 21
I'm sorry, but I can't find any markings on the castings.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
The castings in a GM rear end will be located on the passenger side of the front of the differential where the driveshaft/torque tube goes into the rearend.


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 21
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 21
Possibly says H1

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Bill,

What makes you say it's an Eaton?

I've torn apart at least a half dozen of these rearends and I can confirm they are GM. I did the 5.43 upgrade to my COE a year or two back.

I don't know where the flange w/that seal in pics 2 and 4 came from. It shouldn't be from this rear end.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 21
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 21
Jeff where did you find the 5.43 ring and pinion?

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
I found it at a warehouse that dealt with NOS ring & pinions and drivetrain related parts. No more available unfortunately, I got one of the last sets. If I can find the interchange part numbers I'll post them.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Oh yeah, as I'm sure you know, they are extremely rare for the open driveline 1 1/2 ton rear ends. The 1940 and older torque tube 1 1/2 ton trucks are still fairly rare, but more often available.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 21
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 21
OK I found a 5.14 out of a GMC. Will it fit?

Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 21
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 21
Will a 1950 GMC 5.11 fit in my truck?

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
I replied to the other post of yours, and it occured to me, the 5.14 is out of a 1 ton rear end and will not fit. They did not make a 5.14 for 1 1/2 ton rear ends.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 21
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 21
Well I found the 5.43 and it's in. Onward and upward.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Sweet! cool


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0