The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Nhluvstruck, 32Fordpuchoptop, Bill Hanlon, DHedrick, Ponchogl, Southerntruck, Otto Skorzeny, 1955 1 Series, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#796926 11/11/2011 2:57 AM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 6
W
New Guy
New Guy
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 6
Does anyone have information about putting power steering on a '51-3100? I know there's kits for this for $800.00, but I've heard you can get parts off later vehicles to convert the '51 to power steering. So what parts are needed and what's involved in the change over?
Thanks

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
What steering column are you going to use?

In general terms...a saginaw gear box, rebuilt available from most discount part stores. I used a 76 pickup steering box.($116) (some use a toyota box), a kit http://www.classicparts.com/1947-59-Power-Steering-Conversion-Kit/productinfo/76-977/ (about $95)with adjustable steering link,steering arm and bushings. You'll need a pitman arm of the right vintage. (impala,malibu...with about 5 1/2" between holes. A couple universal joints,a length of double "D" steering shaft....and naturally a power steering pump and a cooler. I like the cooler in the bottom of a radiator. Also don't forget to use the updated tie rod ends. The old ball and socket are good but I just don't feel good riding around mountain curves with the ball and socket. (new ends available for about $50 for the pair)
There are a couple pics in my photo bucket if you'd like to look.... any questions PM me. (I'll be out of town until Monday)

Hope this gets you started in the right direction. This might help.

Here is some reading to help you out.
http://www.classictruckshop.com/t1.php

and
http://www.classicperform.com/tech_articles/Power-Steering-Trucks/Power-Steering-Trucks.htm


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
I'm generally uninformed about this subject mostly because I don't see a need for PS in
my case.
But I have friends that would have to have it because of health reasons so I've been
keeping an open ear for their sake.
From what I’ve seen so far it sounds like no one has come up with a conversion that uses
the original steering column and linkage. It appears that all of the PS conversions entail
replacing the entirely steering system from the wheel on down, is that true?

DG.

Last edited by Denny Graham; 11/11/2011 1:42 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 328
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 328
Woody

I used the CPP kit. It uses the late chevy p/u power steering box. They sell a whole kit...or, just the
components you need.
It mounts the box outside of the frame and forward.
It works great. I have it on my 51 panel and steering is
effortless. It requires cutting of the existing steering arm, relocating the shock mount ( no big deal)
and using the supplied new pitman arm and adjustable steering arm.
You can modify the stock column to attach,
or install
a later model one if this is an engine/trans conversion you're doing.

With the added forces of the power set up, it is HIGHLY recommended that you install the later style tie rod ends, a stouter tie rod ( they sell a 1" unit), and the
1 1/8" stabilizer bar. Ensure the king pins are up to snuff before all this!

Additionally, I installed a steering stabilizer on the front axle (easy); to help calm everything down up there.
my 2 cents!
mike







Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
You can have power steering and keep every piece of the factory stuff except the drag link. A power assist cylinder is mounted with one end attacthed to the axle and the other to the tie rod. No geometry or anything else is changed except steering effort. It must not be a bad system since Chevy cars used it up through 64, Mustang through 70, and the Corvette untill almost 1980. It might still be used for industrial applications.


Evan

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0