The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gdads51, 68ironhead, Peggy M), 94 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,302
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#79257 06/26/2007 10:20 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 111
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 111
Is anyone familiar with the Mallory Unilite distributor? I have one on my 51 Chevy with a 350, it was on it when I bought it. I have chased a skip or miss in this thing for a couple of days. I thought I found it when I found a bad plug wire but it still skips. It sounds like a steady and regular missfire. Will the Unilite ignition module cause it to skip or does it just go out all at once with no fire at all???? thanks!! Mitchell


54 Chevy 5 window - 46 Chevy 1/2 ton
#79258 06/26/2007 11:15 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
If it,s electronic it,s not likely to miss on only one cyl. If a plug wire was open it very likely has burned the dist cap. Take a hard look inside for carbon tracks. Kind of look like a jagged pencil mark. The plug could be fouled from not fireing.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#79259 06/26/2007 11:23 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
I have one on my 57' BelAir engine and it either works or doesn't work. I agree with Wrenchbender, it's all or nothing with most electronic gadgets ans all indications are that the Unilite is no different.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
#79260 06/26/2007 11:50 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 111
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 111
How obvious will that crack in cap be? Do I look with a magnifying glass or just with good light? If cracked, is that a special cap for the Unilite or does regular cap work? As you can tell this is my first experience with a Unilite. thanks Mitchell


54 Chevy 5 window - 46 Chevy 1/2 ton
#79261 06/27/2007 2:33 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Could very well be a burned cap. It can also be a burned rotor. I had mine do that. You willneed to get a cap and rotor for a Unilite, standard parts do not fit. Any mallory dealer can get them for you.
One more thing. From my own experience, if you have the one without the vacuum advance, give it a little more advance on the base timing. I found that mine was much happier with 15 degrees advance over the stock setting.


Bill Burmeister

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0