The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Patharr, Gdads51, Shade Baby, DadsFirstPickup), 96 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,311
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 56
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 56
Hello everyone i am stuck trying to decide what to do with my trucks engine. i have a 1962 chevy c10 with a 235 in it. I want to restore the engine but i also want a little more power. my friends seem to think that the only thing to do would be to just get rid of it and go with a 350 but i really want to keep the 235. I will leave this thread open to anyone's opinions because i really don't know what to do and i just want to see if anyone can help me decide. thanks
-Andrew

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
You could go with a 261 for a little more power, it's the same family as the 235 and would look the same to an untrained eye.
You could also go with a later inline six like a 250 or 292.


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 304
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 304
It really depends on how u want to use the truck. If it's gonna be a Sun. driver just to a car show or out to dinner, the 235 has a good reputation. It's easy to work on and parts seem to be still readily available. On the other hand, if u really want a head turner or something fun (I'm askin' for it here!!) to drive, ya gotta go V-8 350. Just my opinion. Of course money is REALLY DIFFERENT BETWEEN THE TWO, but hey, it's only money!! So look at what it's going to be used for and how much do u what to spend. That really is the bottom line, at least for me.

Last edited by Panhead59; 09/04/2011 9:45 PM. Reason: spelling

'52 3100 "once a Marine, always a Marine!!
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Excuse me but my 248 is exciting and fun to drive. But you are right about 350s being head turners. When I see another car or truck with a 350 at a show, I turn my head and walk away.

Tognog, there are several ways to give your 235 more power and to dress it up, to boot. Go for it.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
I had a 292 in a 65 C10 a long time ago. It was a great engine. I would go 292 if I had the choice and a 292.


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 565
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 565
Originally Posted by cletis
But you are right about 350s being head turners. When I see another car or truck with a 350 at a show, I turn my head and walk away.

Thats funny right there!


"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just leave me alone, you're starting to freak me out."

1957 GMC 150
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by Panhead59
. . . Of course money is REALLY DIFFERENT BETWEEN THE TWO, but hey, it's only money!! So look at what it's going to be used for and how much do u what to spend. That really is the bottom line, at least for me.
It's hard for me to guess: which costs the less money, and which would you buy based on the cost?

What would a long block "crate" 350 cost (before dressing it up)?

What do you think a Jasper rebuilt long-block 235 or 261 would cost (before dressing it up)?

First, I say buy what suits your tastes.

But, I am with Cletis. 350s at a car show are like a nose, everyone has one. (How do you like the way I cleaned up that aphorism?)

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
only so much your going to get out of a 6 everyone knows that. whats more important to you. keeping the 6 or scootin a little faster down the road


*UNDER CONSTRUCTION*
1953 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton-previously abandoned resto.

My Project Bolt

I hate when people leave their brains at home. Seriously when did critical thinking and customer service go out the window? How about common sense and striving to go the extra mile? Idiots, surrounded by idiots it tell you.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Ya'll know what I'm gonna say. Go FAST smile

Hey Cletus, would you "turn your head" if it had a 283 nestled down in it. His truck is a 62 so it'd look nice and original so don't go turning you nose up at that!! In fact, saw my friend at the Sugar n Spice Friday night and he told me to come get one of his (283 complete) but before I stick it in my next AD I want to make sure your OK with it. No more 350's for me. LOL....


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 117
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 117
How much more power are you looking for? You want to haul a bed full of gold bricks or spin the tires then a six probably isn't the engine for you. Personally I would go with the six because it's tough has decent power and is different.. A 350 has it's place but it's so unimaginative these days.

I'm tearing into my 235 right now and it was pretty much wiped out all around. The only things being reused is the block and head castings, the crank, and the rods. It will end up costing about $2000 in parts and machining to go back close to stock. If your parts are in better shape you could get away with less and you'll have a good runner.

Now if I had a pickup bed full of gold this thread would have a completely different tone...


Sort of stock 1950 Chevrolet 3100
235 (The engine shread) (Engine assembly)- 4 speed - 12 bolt - stock front axle with power disc brakes
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
For once I gotta sit on your side of the fence Charlie, 350 engines are a super cheap way to put a
bunch of horses under the hood. But almost every old Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Studebaker you see at
the care shows looks the same under the hood.
A couple of years ago I saw a ‘32 Ford touring car with one of these in it and that really drew my interest.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/137813743
And for those of you that think you can’t get performance from a Stovebolt, give this a look:


Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 09/05/2011 12:23 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by Silverado_9c3
only so much your going to get out of a 6 everyone knows that. whats more important to you. keeping the 6 or scootin a little faster down the road

How much do you want to get out of one of these old trucks? Easy mods with a high-pressure 235/261 and a 3.55 R&P conversion allows you to cruise all day at 65 mph (with original brakes and high-profile LT radials).

If you want to scoot much faster (in acceleration and/or in top speed), better change a lot more than the engine in the truck. Nothing wrong with this desire and this approach - you just have to decide what you want.


Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 5
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by cletis
But you are right about 350s being head turners. When I see another car or truck with a 350 at a show, I turn my head and walk away.

AMEN!!!!

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 56
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 56
thanks everyone for your MUCH NEEDED reply's. so first off i have been looking at two options: stay with the 235 or go with the 350 (Achipmunk if the 283 is for sale i would like some info on it). looking for a decent condition 292 has been pretty hard and the ones i find will end up costing a lot more than if i stay with the 235 or get a 350. rebuilding a 235 and giving it some nice parts will end up be right around 2,500$ and buying a 350 small block create engine with a decent dress up kit ect. will cost near 3,000$ so theres not much of a difference and it comes to what would be the best fit for what i want. so what i would like to have is a everyday truck. i want to put it away during the rainy seasons but drive it pretty often during the summer. the current 235 has been pretty slow since i bought but if there are several ways to speed it up i would be interested in hearing about them. As for the power issues i would be happy with being able to at least hit 75 without the engine struggling so if any of you guys have. I'm really leaning toward staying with the 235 but if i can't at least get some more power out of it then the 350 is more bang for my buck. Thanks again everyone
-Andrew

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 56
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 56
change 75 to 65mph

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
With an OD transmission I can run 75 with my 248.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
Start looking for a 261, mine is .060 with a small cam and a 2brl carb from langdons and it will run 65/70 ALLLL day long.


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 47
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 47
"If you want to scoot much faster (in acceleration and/or in top speed), better change a lot more than the engine in the truck. Nothing wrong with this desire and this approach - you just have to decide what you want."


true


1962 C-10 Chevy

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

ADHD and luvin' it
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
It is a common misconception that if you want to go faster you need a bigger engine. A lot more can be accomplished with gears, that's how the nascar guys do it.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Originally Posted by Silverado_9c3
only so much your going to get out of a 6 everyone knows that. whats more important to you. keeping the 6 or scootin a little faster down the road
You might be shocked at what you can do with an inline 6. I have an Uncle that had a '49 Chevy Business Coupe back in the late '50s with a hopped up 235 (virtually identical to what's in my truck) that would shut down the Feulie 283s and dual car 392 Hemis at the strip, plus it was used as a daily driver on the street.
As mentioned, I have a virtually identical setup, dual carbs, Fentons, upgrade igition, .030 milled off the head, I run highway speeds with ease.
The one alteration I will definetly suggest, and other will agree with me, is to add an overdrive transmission. The SM318 or later SM326 were both available with the Borg Warner overdrive, and are a direct bolt in. That would be the best choice if you want to keep the column shift. If you want a floor shift, or have the 4 speed, the T5 is a very popular choice. Both have perfect gearing for the 325, ad work very well with the standard 3.90 rear gear used in the 1/2 tons. A taller tire will help, too.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 56
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 56
Hello everyone, sorry I haven't replied in a while but I'm a fire fighter in california and my department sent down a engine to fight some fires down south, so I have been stuck at the station covering. I will look into to overdrive transmission. The question I have now is what does the duel carb do in terms of power. I have a couple of work buddies that say it would be a lot of work for not much gain and it would take some tinkering. Those who have them what are your opinions and how hard was it to sincronize and did you see a difference in power, sound, or fuel eco?


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0