Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,096 Posts1,056,482 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 255 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 255 | What type vehicle usually had the 261 motor? 2 ton, small buses, wreckers? Not a lot of big farm trucks around here, so I was wondering what else to look for. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Depends on the year.
In 1954, the 261 would have come as an RPO in 5000 and 6000 series trucks.
In 1960, various 60 series trucks might have come standard with a 261 (or a 283): C60, L60, T60, CLT60H, S62, S64, and S67.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 94 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 94 | Found mine in a school bus...
Joe D. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | Don't forget Canadian Pontiacs.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | Was any of the mentioned hydraulic lifters ?
Tim
1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | I believe any produced after 1957 are drilled for hydraulic lifters, although none of the trucks used them, it was just part of GMs new oiling system. I would think all Pontiac 261 would have hydraulic lifters.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 239 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 239 | I just rebuilt a 261 and installed in my '55 1st series 3100. The engine was in a 2 ton 1962 truck. Really worth the time searching for the engine. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 122 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 122 | My 55 6500 dump has a 261. Brian M | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 | I lucked out and had two engines in my '59 project truck bed. one was a 235, the other a 261... I chose to rebuild the 261. I'm excited yet nervous as I near a time where I could possibly crank it up. Jerry | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | I see nothing in the 12 Port News and there is generally one or more for sale there. Only a military 302 and a couple of 270 Jimmies. Probably all sold by now. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 181 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 181 | There is a 261 block that has been recently checked advertised in the "Inliners.org" site. The heads can be obtained from many sources. Normbc9 | | | | | Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 181 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 181 | Check the "Swap Meet" om www.inliners.org. There is a fully processed block on the site and there is more too. Normbc9 | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2010 Posts: 8 | If you are willing to travel to Western Maryland, I can hook you up with a 261. Call 301-697-4412 (Cell). | | | | | Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 181 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 181 | There are several blocks, short blocks and complete engines at www.jjinlines.com in Oregon. Larrowe & Sons. Normbc9 | | |
| |