The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gdads51, WICruiser), 83 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,143
Posts1,056,495
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
Still trying to find out exactly what my new toy is. It was manufactured as a 1951 4400 cab and chassis, but the engine ID didn't seem to make much sense.

The number next to the distributor appears to be IOI 8359 F54X. The 8359 and F54X seem to be consistent with an engine that was manufactured in 1954, but the IOI and X after F54 were puzzling.

Then I found out that the block casting number is on the passenger's side in front of the fuel pump. So I went out to look at that and there is an aluminum plate covering the number that reads "Rogers Remaunfactured Engine". How nice.

It isn't a 216 based on the pushrod cover and valve cover. The cylinder head casting number is 3836848, which seems to be fairly common, with GM 30 below it. Does the GM 30 mean anything?

Other info on the aluminum plate is 25541, which I assume is a Rogers serial number. There are also three small, hard to read, numbers stamped into the plate on the fan end. I can't tell if they are complete or not. At the top is a C60, under that is a 030, (overbore?) and below that is a 010 (bearing oversize?)

I don't suppose that anyone out there ever worked for Rogers Engine re-manufacturing?


195? Chevy 3800 dump truck
1973 Chevy C30 cab and chassis
1987 Suburban 3/4 ton 6.2L Diesel
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I would bet the aluminum plate and all of it's markings are unique to the builder/machine shop of the day. If it's still fresh, it sounds like you got a good Stovebolt,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I'd guess the C60 is actually .060 and that is the over bore. The 030 and 010 would be rods and mains but I don't know which. It was probably painted on the aluminum when it was installed.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Sounds like a 235. May be a 261 with a 235 head, but probably not.

Is the water pump in the block or mounted to a plate that bolts onto the block?


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
The water pump is external to the block.

I also checked for 'captain's bars' near the starter and didn't see anything like that, although I really don't know what I was looking for.


195? Chevy 3800 dump truck
1973 Chevy C30 cab and chassis
1987 Suburban 3/4 ton 6.2L Diesel
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
It's a 235, Flint plant, 3100 series for original application.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Back in my teens I remember Rogers Reman's as being top of the line. I don't know if they went out of business or was bought out? They did good work. The rebuild sounds like .060 overbore and 30 on the rods and 10 on the mains. I don't believer rebuilders back then would go 30 on the mains but not sure. Sounds like you got a nice one.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
Thanks all.


195? Chevy 3800 dump truck
1973 Chevy C30 cab and chassis
1987 Suburban 3/4 ton 6.2L Diesel
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 32
O
Junior Member
Junior Member
O Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 32
Also back in my teens,I believe that Rodgers Reman's sold engines through Sears,and others.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0