The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 89 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 107
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 107
Hi there. Long time lurker first time posting. Have a 59 3100 apache fleet 4 speed all stock. Nice daily driver for around town. Bought Patrick's 3.38 kit with the bearing kit and got it all in yesterday. Everything went fine but now at rpm it sounds noticeably louder. Idle sounds the same and everything seems OK but I was just wondering if these 3.38 ring and pinion kits have changed the rpm noise in your guys truck? Just want to make sure its the way it is and not something I screwed up. Thanks in advance for any info you can offer..

Last edited by Joshm; 04/23/2011 7:39 PM.
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Im not sure what you mean by louder. The RPM are lower then they were so the engine should be quieter. The exhaust might be louder because you are pulling harder. If you havn't changed the speedo gear you will be going faster then the speedo shows. How about the rear end? Does it sing or howl?


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 107
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 107

Never thought about the speedo gear. Will have to find one of those! RPM is lower for sure. Haven't had it over 50 mph that the speedo shows as the kit say to give it 100 mile brake in before trying highway speeds but 4th seems to have a lot left at 50 around town. Howl seems to be a good way to describe it when in motion. At idle sounds just as before but for sure in motion I have a louder "howl" then before. It gets louder faster and quieter as I slow and come to a stop. Exhaust then? Or might be something I missed in the rear?

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Did you check the tooth pattern when you set it up? Does this howl vary by acelleration or deceleration? You may have to get good directions or a good book & set the tooth contact correctly. If that is the case you shouldn't drive it. If you wear 2 patterns in the gears they will never be right.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 452
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 452
What was in it before? If a 4.10, then you are probably doing 60, not 50. If the rear is howling you need to adjust it. Get the swipe pattern right, or you may be changing the rear again before you know it. Many guys here have done it, so there will be a lot of advice available. The rear set-up is on of those things you have to get right, close doesn't cut it.


Current fleet (subject to change w/o notice)
\'49 GMC 3/4-Ton , 60 Austin Healey Frog-eye Sprite (some assembly required), 2011 Dodge Avenger, 2015 Jeep Cherokee. No, they don't all run.
My other ride is a (B737)no, (B767)no, A320.... Update... was Embraer E190, now Boeing B787.

Knowledge is a wonderful thing, but ignorance means you don't know you can't do something.
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
Rear end gears are not something joe average can do. Have you done rear ends before? It can take hours to do correctly if you don't have the right tools for the job, and or experience.
If it howls its most likely not set correctly, though if its not the mechanic it could be the gears, where are they made? China? Then I suspect the gears and not the tech.


Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks.
Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.


As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
When I installed mine I noticed I can hear the transmission at low RPM. But that is it. Since the RPM is lower my exhaust aint so loud I cant hear rest of the truck.


1959 Chevy Apache 3100/ 283 TBI / 4L60E

My YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/mikebtte
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 107
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 107

Thanks for all the info guys. Yes I have worked rear ends and have an understanding of how it goes. The gearing is from Patrick's and I'm not sure of where he has them manufactured. It was indeed the 4.10 and I think it's time to get back into it and adjust it a bit to see where I'm at. Easter Sunday seems a good a day as any.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 549
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 549
FWIW, I'm running one of Patrics 3.38 gear sets. When set up correctly, there is no howling.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joshm,

Did you use Patrick's installation kit (that includes shims, seals, and bearings)? I have not used the 3.38 set but I have used two of Patrick's 3.55 sets. I thought my Suburban was quiet before the conversion. It is even quieter after the conversion (and I think this is due to using all of the new bearings/bushings that come in Patrick's installation kit).

As mentioned above, did you follow the ring & pinion adjustment and the ring & pinion backlash adjustment (using prussian blue )?

Patrick's ring & pinion sets might be made in China, Mexico, or Michigan, but no one has reported quality problems in the past (of course, there might have been a recent bad production run, no matter where they were made).

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
There must be something that is off to give you a noticable howl. Did you perform the break-in on jackstands during the initial installation? This procedure will put the rear of the truck in the air and your run the truck in its highest gear at idle for 15 minutes. If you have an extra helper, have them get behind the truck and listen for gear whine.

Did you use a dial indicator to ensure the lash was correct? I have done three sets of gears and an increase in noise means something isnt right.

I have pretty much a step by step album on my Webshots page, feel free to check it out, the link is below......


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 107
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 107

Thank you again for the advice! Done with Easter now off to get into the old bolt and see what's going on. Yes I did use both Patrick's ring and his install kit. Sweet I did not do the break in you mention as the directions I got didn't mention to do so. I have a helper and I'm going to get it right! I will update and get some pictures of my truck for a proper intro in the next couple days. One last question if I may? Several of you mention my speedo gear will need to be replaced in order to get an accurate speed. Where would I buy one? Looked at Patrick's and brothers withou luck.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Jim Carter sells adapters.

Since I was interested in adjusting for tires that were a wider than diameter than stock plus the 3.55 conversion (from 3.90), I bought a ratio adapter from the Speedometer Shop. It fits perfectly and is within 1% error.

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 107
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 107

Once again thank you for pointing me on the right direction!

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
Is there a website for these patrick gears?


Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks.
Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.


As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Most reproduction parts vendors sell them, but they all get them from Patrick's Antique Cars & Trucks (scroll down the page).

3.55 Tech Tip (not 3.38)


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0