The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dragracefan, Oswald, dt235sd, Ponchogl), 134 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,720
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 53
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 53
I am to the point of reassembling my '54 3100. The frame is painted and the funds for new suspension parts is almost here. I almost bolted the 2 crossmembers into the frame today but started 2nd guessing the bolts.

On previous little projects I would just run to NAPA from the few bolts I needed. but I have had some issues with the bolts rusting up pretty quick, bad enough that it took an impact a while to get it loose.

So on this project, with the quality and "flashyness" being a little higher I was pondering useing stainless hardware (bolts, washers, nuts)

Is this a little too overkill? I was thinking using them for all the frame/chassis type things (exposed to the elements) and then possibly on the interior also.

my research shows that you can get pretty much everything 1-1/2'' and down for around $.30 each.

only other concern would be strength. I'm under the impression that most stainless grades are similar in strength to grade 5. is this sufficent for anything but spring hangers and the like?

thanks
-LGringo


'54 chevy 3100. In pieces now. .... I've always liked puzzles
-Gig em Aggies! Class of 2013
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

LGringo,

I went for overkill when restoring my Suburban. I used almost all stainless Hardware from Totally Stainless

As you stated, most of their SS is grade-5, but they also have grade-8 equivalent ss hardware.

They also have very nice black anodized ss hardware that matches nicely the color and head-type to hold the inner-to-outer fenders and the attachment of fenders and shroud to the radiator support (47-55).

They sell by piece, in quantity, and in pre-packaged kits by component/vehicle (I think that Jim Carter might resell their pre-packaged kits).

I also found that MSC Stainless had a wide variety of hardware at good prices (and good service).

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
The cruel fact with Stainless is the harder it is the more likely it is to also rust. So just because you are using stainless doen't mean you are not going to see rust spots around the bolts. Fenders and areas where you want it to shine and always look good without a lot of torque issues,use only stainless that you can't pick up with a magnet or you know for sure the Stainless content in them. Go to a Screw and Bolt supply house, they tend to be a lot more knowledgeable about the grades than your average hardware store clerk. Another cruel fact is the higher the grade of stainless the more $$ expect to spend. At $0.30 a bolt you either have a very sweet deal or a low grade.


My Fleet:
1941
1953
1959
1965
1966
1953 Willy's Pickup

John

Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
SS has varying amounts of chromium added to form a corrosion resistant layer to the surface - the primary problem with SS fasteners is the surface protection can be galled when they're tightened, especially into the mild steel cage/weld nuts, but even into SS nuts, and you'll find them siezed in when you try to remove them later ..... they should really have a bit of never sieze smeared on the threads, a messy operation

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
FWIW, I painted all my fasteners that were on the chassis and not easily visible. All my fender bolts and bolts under the hood are stainless, which mostly came from suppliers such as Carter`s. A number of the fasteners are original that I cleaned up and re-painted.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Bill and Leo hit the nail on the head. About Stainless rusting and spotting (its not shiny anyway unless you polish it) and also Leo by reusing some of his.
That is exactly what I did. I even put some stainless on the panel and then decided they just didn't look good so I went with painted.... and the good thing is we can touch them up easy and keep them looking good.

...and yes, the good stainless is not cheap. I had some stainless that would not even stick in one of the magnetic parts tray. Those I don't need!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
FWIW, There are many types of SS. The two most common are 303 and 304. 303 does have some steel/iron in it and over time it will rust in spots. 304 does not much if any steel/iron in it, and does not rust.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 53
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 53
Thanks for the input guys.

While apperance is important, my main concern is keeping the bolts from rusting up so fast ( i know with anything rust will be there over time). for example, the bolt holding on the frame crossmembers will probably never be seen, but if they ever need to be removed for some reason I would like to keep them rust free, and also to help keep rust away from my freshly painted frame.

I do like the idea of painting originals (or non SS replacements). I like the idea of being able to touch them up easy, where SS would prolly just need to be replaced after pitting.

Like most of yall, I want it to look good, but I really just want to be able to drive this thing when ever, where ever, not worrying about hurting the appearance of some bolts.

But if the SS will resist the weather good enough for the unseen areas, paint the seen area bolts I think price would not be too bad. I know its a WHOLE truck, but right now i have every bolt out of the truck, bagged & tagged, and they all fit in a shoe box. so even SS everywhere would not be too bad in the big picture.

Maybe I'll just use all SS flat washer, keep the rust out of contact with my frame/body parts!

thanks
-LGringo


'54 chevy 3100. In pieces now. .... I've always liked puzzles
-Gig em Aggies! Class of 2013
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
Larry, all stainless is about 60% iron [might be why it's called steel?] with varying amounts of chromium, nickel and other elements, it's carbon content that varies to near zero - the difference in the 300 series is mainly carbon and nickel content, not a lot of difference in corrosion resistance, and no SS is totally corrosion proof

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
There is a whole bunch of types of stainless, like 50 or more categories, and 316 stainless is one of the most corrosion resistant, and commonly available stainless. I know this because I have been dealing with it for the last six months at work. (pain in the ###) I don't know if I would use stainless for anything requiring strength or safety such as frame members, it really isn't all that strong.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Use a can of clear coat. I think I use Rustoleum. Once your done installing, a quick couples of passes with the clear coat and those new nuts and bolts stay shiny. One can of clear coat is about $6 and trust me, you can spray a LOT of bolts.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
308,316,404,416 etc. are all good if made in the USA & Europe. Asia, India etc. are just plain junk. Exellent quality stainless are around $0.50 to $4.75 per bolt depending on size and grade. When putting stainless bolts in disimilar metals they will cause a galvanic action and seize up. You must use some type of thread Anti Seize or use some Lock Tite Thread Locker in the Blue or Green colors.
Galding is a common problem with Stainless nuts and bolts unless you use thread compound of some kind. If you ever get a nut or bolt seized up mix some Valve grinding compound and light Machine Oil together and use a acid brush to put some around the threads let it soak in then try tighting or loosing the nut or bolt back an forth adding Oil and Valve compound as you go. 99% of the time you can free it up. Just got to have PATIENTS.
62Blue
Don

Last edited by Don G.; 04/18/2011 5:43 AM.

62Blue
62Chevy in progress
You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach3" Paul F Crichmore (Test Pilot)
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Originally Posted by brokenhead
...I don't know if I would use stainless for anything requiring strength or safety such as frame members, it really isn't all that strong.
I know I wouldn't. Where you need fasteners to really do their job, like drivetrain, suspension, and frame stuff I always use normal stuff that was/is designed to do the job.

Although...I know you can get stainless good enough, but not many of us would have the money to pay for it. I worked at a shipyard and one of my jobs was helping assemble torpedo tubes, everything was rust/corrosion resistant including all the fasteners, and most of them were very high quality as you would expect... None of them were what you find at the hardware store.

As mentioned earlier always use never seeze / anti seize of some sort on stainless fasteners to help prevent galling.

One thing most people don't understand is stainless steel is "stain LESS steel" not "stain free steel"

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 53
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 53
It sounds kind of stupid but what if a corrosion resistant material was used for just the flat washers?

This would keep the large 1 inch diameter circles of rust (from cheap washers) from being smashed against the nicely painted frame.

Would SS washers with NAPA (or other generic/bulk source) grade 8 bolts/nuts lead to dissimilar metals corrosion?

or is there another material that is corrosion resistant besides SS?


(I am a youngster - reason for the questions showing my inexperience)

Thanks a Bunch
-LGringo


'54 chevy 3100. In pieces now. .... I've always liked puzzles
-Gig em Aggies! Class of 2013
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
loco - the only solution is to keep everything absolutely dry so there is no electrolyte to cause the oxidization of the iron .... useing SS washers doesn't take care of the other side where you'd need another washer to shield your 'nice frame' - and then there's the edges of the hole where the threads will come in contact .... one solution is to use galvanized fasteners, the zinc doesn't rust, although galvanized lock washers aren't available because the galvanizing would just crack apart with the distortion .... the problem is partly one of dissimilar metals, but the corrosion process is a complex thing

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Don't see any advantage to only using stainless washers, just use good quality steel stuff, paint it all and get on with it....

Grigg

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
Zinc plated fasteners are an option, they are fairly corrosion resistant and have the correct strength, the zinc coating is not as thick as galvanized and doesn't flake off. I'm not sure what grade to use on frame members you would have to do some research. Grade 5 is pretty strong and can take a little more flexing than grade 8 but I don't know which would be best for that application, plus they seem to paint well...

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
If you use galvanized, don't forget to acid wash it before painting it, otherwise the paint won't stick to it.


My Fleet:
1941
1953
1959
1965
1966
1953 Willy's Pickup

John

Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0