The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Robert Crandall, tclederman), 303 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,098
Posts1,056,166
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 217
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 217
I was in La Grange this week ( yes ZZ Top's La Grange) and I decided to go into one of those old timey small town auto parts store. Looking at the Lisle display there it was the famous "Sneaky Pete". Well I just had to have it. I've read threads about this tool and since I plan to check the mains to see if I can squeeze them a bit more to get more oil pressure this may be a good time to check that rope seal.

I know this might open a pandoras box so I will examine before I go forth and replace the seal but at least I have the tool to get me in real trouble.

By the way it was only $8.00. I just think it is neat to have.

Rick.....

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Not many found around in the stores anymore. I've had mine since I owned the first AD back in 1971 (1950 pickup) They do work!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 81
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 81
Got a picture of it?


The CPA, never under estimate the value;
especially when he's driving an old Chevy truck!

1947 Chevy 1/2-Ton Advance Design in the Gallery

1951 Chevrolet 3100
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
Iv still got mine in the orig. package. Bought it and used it around 1976,,paid for itself the first time.
Still see them on the Lisle, or HELP rack once in a while.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

O
OLTrucks
Unregistered
OLTrucks
Unregistered
O

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I also like the "chinese noose" type. Do I need to take a pic of it? Not sure what the proper name is.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
I had to have one, so I searched ebay and found one.

A new original still in the package was $11.09 with shipping.

Thanks for the tip.

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
The Lisle 2700 list price is only $10.99 and most auto parts still have them or can get them if you ask for them. And yes, they do work. I have saved lots of labor with GMC rope seals over the last 50 years.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
What about the Steal the Car tool, Canadian Drink, and Pool Cue?

They are kind of "Sneaky Pete" Too


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
S
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
I am not knowledgeable to know what one is, so I googled and found this site too.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kdt492.html


A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin
When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
What's the difference between a Sneaky Pete and a Slim Jim. And I'm not talking about the pepperoni stick Slim Jim.


"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 117
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 117
Napa still sells them,ask for part number SER 492.


Sort of stock 1950 Chevrolet 3100
235 (The engine shread) (Engine assembly)- 4 speed - 12 bolt - stock front axle with power disc brakes
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Originally Posted by Jim Bow
What's the difference between a Sneaky Pete and a Slim Jim. And I'm not talking about the pepperoni stick Slim Jim.

After drinking 3 or 4 sneaky pete's you have to use a slim jim to retrieve your car keys after you locked them inside.


Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0