The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (ndkid275, Southerntruck), 66 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,374
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 36
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 36
Just how difficult is it to replace the rear main seal in a 283 engine? I want to replace top and bottom. Is it possible to replace with engine in vehicle and all the running bolted on? I know the pan the oil pump and rear main cap need to be removed. Some advice and instruction past that point would appreciated.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I am going to guess that it isn't a whole lot different than the six as far as this goes.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
Look in a motors or chiltons book it will be described in full detail. If it is a lip seal you just drive it around the crank with a careful hand,and when enough comes around the other side a pair of pliers will get it the rest of the way out.


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 36
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 36
I was hoping to get some help from someone who has actually done it. Is there anyone out there who has.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
In my experience, I would take the engine out to work on it rather than crawl under the truck and do it on my back.

In the end I don't think it is any less work to pull the engine than to constantly get up and down and crawling around underneath. It is certainly less frustrating.

If it is a rope seal, I don't think I would want to try to remove and replace it from under the truck. But, that's me.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0