Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,106 Posts1,056,213 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 33 Geezer | | Geezer Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 33 | Well, I have acquired a really nice 56 3100 that has no rust, never wrecked, never cut up or modified..
It is an original 265 V8, 3 speed std., Deluxe Cab & everything except the wheels is original including the seat which can be reupholstered.
Now my dilemma:
1. Keep it stock with a newly rebuilt 265.
2. Keep the 265, but add a Turbo 350 or 700R4
3. Upgrade to a more modern 355 V8 with a 700R4
I have all the stuff to do any or all of the above, but I am having a hard time deciding which way to go...
You don't get many all original trucks anymore... and since I am a Geezer I am leaning to original.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Thirdcoast
1966 C20 LWB, 327 4 Bbl., 4 Speed
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 456 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 456 | Sounds like you are leaning the way I'd be leaning. People used to drive these trucks across country and not have a second thought about it. I'd tighten up the front end, go through the brakes completely and let her roll.
Good luck, George | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | yeah, I'd vote for original too .... except if the engine does need a rebuild or when it gets to need one, I'd rebuild a 283 to replace the 265
Bill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Replace an original small block V8? Be a proud geezer, lean to the original until/unless you have no other options. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 293 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 293 | If you are going to drive it, I would certainly put a TH70R4 under it: the shorter first gear and the overdrive fourth will be really nice, especially if you have (or install) the best rear end ratio to make it all work together. And a TH700R4 is pretty much invisible, so no one will know it is "modified"! ;-) You could also build a 350 and dress it to look exactly like a stock 265, with the right paint, valve covers, manifolds, air cleaner... But really, unless you are towing or often carrying heavy stuff, the 265 (with TH700R4) will be way enough!
Last edited by wave1957; 02/21/2011 1:58 AM.
'57 Chevy Suburban; '70 Chevy Impala.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2011 Posts: 1,362 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2011 Posts: 1,362 | And here is why you absolutly don't want a 700R4 in it. There is no way to mount it to the frame. The rear engine mount is at the bellhousing, and 700R4's don't have such a mount point. Well yeah if you cut the crap outa the crossmember, and add an aftermarket mess, then it will work. I cann't understand why people want to constantly ruin these trucks. Then turn around and offer them on craigslist. Factory stock is the only way to go with a good original truck. If ya want to cut one up theres lots of them that have already had that done to them available.
Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks. Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.
As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Thirdcoast, I agree with Truckolet that a good factory original truck is the way to go, I wish I could FIND a nice original..... but to put a 7004R in it does not mean cutting the crap out of one. A nicely modified original, or even aftermarket, crossmember, can be installed without loosing any intergrity of the truck, make it easier on the truck in actuality and easier on the pocket book.....just my opinion. But,as all us bolters know, its your truck so let your consience be your guide  Let us know what you come up with. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 10 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 10 | Ok already... Now we are crossing over the line with the rhetoric. I am a big, big fan of my truck (55 2nd series) and I really appreciate 99% of the information shared here but to try to sway someone to YOUR OPINION with very misleading information isn't right. Mating any small block chevrolet or a 235 with a 700r4 will is relatively easy (4-3/8th inch holes to hold the Cross Member in place which is made from a 1 1/4" tubing). There are certain things that I would never changed from the originality of these trucks but enhancing the driveability does nothing in my eyes but to make them easier to maintain and to enjoy. Just my opinion... | | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 33 Geezer | | Geezer Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 33 | Thanks guys for the input..
The decision has been made: All Original Stock.
I think it will be a fun truck to drive as it was 55 years ago.. Slightly younger than me.:) mostly around town probably no long road trips in it..
Again, thanks for the input
TC
Last edited by Thirdcoast; 02/22/2011 3:26 PM.
1966 C20 LWB, 327 4 Bbl., 4 Speed
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Enjoy your truck (as if this has to be suggested).
Most likely you have a 3.90 rear end. That is a little high for some people but you'll be able to cruise around town just fine.
Your original drive-train, etc will be safe and enjoyable to drive, easy to maintain, and interesting to discuss with people who are interested in originality (such as, it has the first Chevrolet small-block V-8 engine - same-size as the Corvette engine in 1956).
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | Keep it original since it is in such great unmolested shape. Then go buy one that already been modified and do whatever you want with it. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 | Good to have you here, fellow Texan.
I had a 55 2nd that ran fine in its stock form. All original and would run all day at 60-65 mph. Last summer, I drove it to OKC to hang out with our OK friends and enjoy an onion burger. Tasty.
I bought the 50s saginaw with overdrive transmission but could not get it to work properly. But that is something you may want to consider and have someone set it up for you.
You can also change out the rear gears for highway driving.
This weekend is the big Decatur Swap Meet. It is the grand daddy of swap meets in Texas. You should check it out.
Best of luck
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 | No answer to your question from me.I like them all,oruiginal or rodded. I have a 55 and 65,both rodded,and thats the way I like them.However this is your truck,and do it up to suit yourself.Never mind what other people think,they are not doing the work or paying the bills. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 | The easiest and cheapest way to make it a good driver is to put a 3 speed overdrive transmission in it. They were stock from the factory in that year so it would still be stock. Read up on them and locate the parts to make the switch. You won't be dissapointed. Fred
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Another vote for the 3 speed overdrive. It's a direct bolt in, and will not muck up the originality. Plus, they're blast to drive.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | I love my 3 speed OD also. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 33 Geezer | | Geezer Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 33 | Thanks for all your input guys.
As I said earlier, I am going to leave the 56 all original for the time being, but I am officially on the prowl for a 3 speed OD tranny.
I also have a 57 that is all original, but not in as great shape that the 56 is.. I may put a late model V8 & 700R4 in it as the original engine has a cracked block...
Thanks again,
TC
Last edited by cletis; 02/25/2011 5:45 AM. Reason: removed parts wanted ad
1966 C20 LWB, 327 4 Bbl., 4 Speed
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 320 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 320 | I think you're going to enjoy it. I agree that changing rear gears or upgrading to a trans w/OD would make it more drivable (by todays standards) and would be nice. But for my two cents, crusing along in the slow lane has its merits. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 33 Geezer | | Geezer Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 33 | Well, After a nice 1500 mile road trip the 56 is in my garage..
It is in the condition as represented, very refreshing, and as an added bonus..
It has a stock three speed OVERDRIVE transmission with it...
This makes it not only a good deal, but a great deal..
As you progress into your senior years and have experienced enough "Bad Deals", "Good Deals" somehow become more frequent.. through skeptisim or just knowledge or a combo of both.
But "Great Deals" still are a gift..
Thanks again for all the comments & advice,I will keep the board updated & will try to figure out the picture deal & post a few pics.
BTW, what is the deal with posting?? it jumps around???????
TC
Last edited by Thirdcoast; 03/06/2011 11:48 PM.
1966 C20 LWB, 327 4 Bbl., 4 Speed
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 283 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 283 | ... and since I am a Geezer I am leaning to original.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Thirdcoast Well - one Geezer to another - I leaned toward orginal also - and I'm still that way -- but every now and then I get thinkin' about a ---350--- maybe -- just maybe -- someday-- Dale | | |
| |